We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haena - Naue Beach

Thunder Bay, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Haena - Naue Beach

I'm travelling with my wife and two small children for a month. March to April...

How are the beaches in our area? good surf for intermediate log riders?

How are the whales on the north side at that time of year? Last year on the west side of Maui, they were great!

Any good local markets?

Mahalo, the reviews here are awesome!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Haena - Naue Beach

As I thought, you are within a couple hundred yards of where we were this past September. The scenery in that area is stunning, including from the beach; you'll just want to be very cautious with your little one(s) near the water. And you can walk the beach to Tunnels, and further to Haena Beach Park, where the lifeguard station is. Slow-going though, because the sand is so deep. Plan to carry your kids. ;-) You can get there along the road too, and in less time. It doesn't surprise me to know that there are drownings at Tunnels, but I wonder if those aren't mostly the surfers and snorkelers near the outer reef.

Walking east you'll come to Hanalei Colony Resort, which sits at one end of a picturesque little crescent beach. Beautiful, but again not good for swimming. At the other end of that beach is a rocky headland, which you can't really walk around except on the road.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the snorkeling, both at Tunnels, but more so because I wasn't comfortable snorkeling off the beach where we stayed. Jebett's term "washing machine waves" describes the action there it pretty well. Towards the end of our stay, we talked with neighbors who claimed the snorkeling is good there, which I thought was confirmed when a guy emerged from the water off our beach one night, a spear gun and two decent sized fish in his hands. I'll have to see for myself this year. Also, I heard people rave about the snorkeling at Ke'e, the beach at the end of the road.

Thunder Bay, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Haena - Naue Beach

Would you say you had a good spot on that beach (ie. a good time for your family?)

We were told it is very quiet and safe, along with being very beautiful right outside the house. I can't seeing it being anything 'but'.

Thanks everyone for the insight. We'll be playing on the sand, walking, and doing some surfing 'somewhere'...and then some of the hikes. Beyond that, relaxing and eating fresh poke is all I really want to do.

Thanks again. Any other suggestions on that side of the island?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Haena - Naue Beach

I personally find the snorkeling at both Tunnels and Ke'e lame. But then, I live on the Big Island. I've been way out at Tunnels, it doesn't really get any better, IMO. The water is very clear at Ke'e when it's calm and fun to be-bop around but there's not a lot of fish. Every time I've been there the reef that's there in sort of the middle right has been too shallow to swim over, I'm not sure if it's always that way. Cruising around it I've never seen much.

California
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Haena - Naue Beach

No fair Shea!! We all agree snorkeling is better on the BI.

I am just not a fan of staying that far North during March. Maybe I haven't lucked out, but whenever I've gone that time of the year, the weather sucks. It certainly is a beautiful area, but its better from May-Oct. I also find this area windy during March. Its quiet because people don't rent in this area during the winter. A bridge shuts down and you are stuck.

Surfing you will need to come back to Hanalei unless you are a pro.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Haena - Naue Beach

Yes, the area is quiet (well, except for helicopters flying within the no-fly zone) and safe (in a security sense). And there's no question that it's beautiful (maybe more than any other place in the islands you could pick to stay). You'll just have to watch your kids, and be cautious around the water. With kids the ages of yours, I'd think you'd be doing that anyway.

16. Re: Haena - Naue Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, March 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Haena