We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaui or Big Island

philadelphia, p
6 posts
Save Topic
Kaui or Big Island

Going on our honeymoon in April of 2005 and we are definitely going to spend 5-6 days in Maui and now trying to decide if we go to Kaui or the Big Island?

I have been to Kaui before and it was beautiful. From what I can tell, they both offer the same things to do ....

We golf so we will play at both places. Thinking of either the marriott/hyatt in kaui or four seasons in big island if we can afford these....

Looking for some experiences....we plan to chill at the pool/beach, golf, hike and do the usual.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
MN prior HI SD and...
Level Contributor
240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaui or Big Island

there are Cows on Kaua'i but not Cow Eye

those nasty spring breakers will most likely swarm Maui side

so stay Ka Why EE side more romantic too

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaui or Big Island

Haven't been to Kauai but the Big Island is great. So many things to do besides the beaches, like snorkeling, hiking in Volcano Natl park, the rainforest. Very pretty too.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaui or Big Island

Snorkeling at both islands is wonderful--Poipu beach on Kauai is easy and fun, and a very pretty locale, Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island is an amazing marine preserve that you can kayak to or take a excursion boat to. Kauai is so much smaller that if you only have a few days, it would probably be less stressful to be there (and it is a gorgeous place)--the wide open spaces of the Big Island are wonderful and there is much more variety in the environments of the Big Island, but you can travel longer distances getting around and might feel rushed trying to get to very many places without a week or more.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaui or Big Island

Snorkeling at both islands is wonderful--Poipu beach on Kauai is easy and fun, and a very pretty locale, Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island is an amazing marine preserve that you can kayak to or take a excursion boat to. Kauai is so much smaller that if you only have a few days, it would probably be less stressful to be there (and it is a gorgeous place)--the wide open spaces of the Big Island are wonderful and there is much more variety in the environments of the Big Island, but you can travel longer distances getting around and might feel rushed trying to get to very many places without a week or more.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaui or Big Island

The Big Island is the better choice. Kauai is beatiful and unspoiled and does have the best course in Hawaii, Princeville (Prince) on the north shore. But the Big Island has more to do and more places to eat, especially for a hoenymoon trip.

A little advice on hotel and golf since I'm big on golf and have played about 20 courses on the islands. The Four Seasons is lovely, although I haven't stayed there or played Hualalai. I hear it's good. The Mauna Lani Bay Hotel or the Fairmont Orchid are both very nice, and the North and South courses at Mauna Lani are both lava-strewn but otherwise wide-open tracks. The South has hosted Senior Skins and has the ocean-inlet par-3 that's most phtographed on the course.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is nice, but Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel (the sister property) is about as nice and a little cheaper. It's a little farther back from the shore though. Both Mauna Kea beach and Hapuna beach are among the loveliest in the islands. The Mauna Kea track is an old school RT Jones Sr. layout that includes the most photographed hole on the island, an ocean-inlet par-3. Hapuna Golf Course is almost always uncrowded and is a beautiful, generally overlooked Palmer track.

Plus the Big Island has my favorite restaurant in the world, I think, Merriman's in Waimea.

If you do opt for Kauai, I'd definitely go with the Hyatt in Poipu over the Marriott. The Hyatt is very good. I actually prefer the Princeville Hotel on the north shore, because of the view over Hanalei Bay (the best view on Kauai in my opinion) and also because of the Prince course.

Oh, by the way, on Maui do not miss Kapalua's Plantation course (difficult to get a prime time unless you stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Villas, or Kapalua Bay Hotel, the last being my favorite hotel on Maui, since guests at these properties can book earlier, up to 30 in advance. And of course every golfer on the island wants to play the host course of the Mercedes Championship). Wailea Gold and Emerald and Makena North and South are also very good, but not near the Plantation. Don't waste your time with the Kaanapali courses.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaui or Big Island

I haven't been to Maui, but I have been to Kauai and the Big Island. I would think the Maui is similar in appearance to Kauai. If you're looking for something totally different, go to the Big Island. The landscape is totally different there.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Brooten,Mn
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaui or Big Island

Take your new wife to Paradise, North shore Kauai! Relax, slow down, enjoy each other with this island. Beach it. Bid Island is to big. To much driving around. Just relax! Princeville Resort is the place for young lovers. Believe me! Enjoy.Mahalo.Aloha !!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaui or Big Island

Go to Kaui... try golf at the princeville and the resort there is spectacular, also helicopter tour is cool. kayak the Amalfi coastline if you're looking for some adventure. scenery is much better in kaui!!

British Columbia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaui or Big Island

I am taking my son to Kauai in April, we are set up for a week at Beachboy and I am trying to decide if I should stay 1 more week somewhere in Kauai or do a week on another island? My son is 5 and we like the sun, beach and pools!

Thanks Kim

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaui or Big Island

My preference is Kauai after visiting all three islands you mention and for these reasons: the beauty, peace and quiet, easy access to all sides of the island, best views from a helicopter, the Napali coast cruises, etc. I enjoyed the Big Island for the volcano hike. I enjoyed Maui for the night life.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii