We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu, Maui, or Kauai? Suggestions please!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu, Maui, or Kauai? Suggestions please!

We plan on going to Hawaii for 7 nights in April (Spring Break).

We would like to visit 2 islands. Any suggestions on which to choose from the 3 listed above. We are not big partiers. We enjoy the beach, hiking, riding bikes, and nature.

We are departing from Los Angeles. Can we fly directly to Maui or Kauai, and can we fly from Burbank Airport rather than LAX?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu, Maui, or Kauai? Suggestions please!

Hi,

Kauai and Maui are the best islands for laid back nature lovers. I would say that Kauai is a bit more remote, less touristy and more laid back than Maui. Both islands are beatiful, but Maui has more to offer in terms of touristy resorts and night life. Kauai is, at least for me, the best for getting away from it all and seeing some spectacular views. There is pretty much no nightlife, which makes the island less popular but a nice breath of fresh air. There is plenty to do in terms of hiking, kayaking and beach time on kauai.

You can check flights, but I'm pretty sure the only flights from your area depart LAX. You can fly direct to kauai or other islands, but you may want to shop around and see what the cost is. We saved $400 by flying through Oahu rather than direct to kauai.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu, Maui, or Kauai? Suggestions please!

You may want to consider just one island if you only have 7 nights. When you island-hop, you lose most of one day in the process. Besides, it will give you an excuse to come back and visit another island.

Hawaiian Airlines generally has among the lowest fares, but they don't fly out of Burbank. You would have to leave from LAX and go through Oahu. Aloha Airlines flies out of Orange County direct to Maui, but not Kauai. United, American and ATA fly direct to Kauai from LAX, but it's more expensive than Hawaiian. The layover in Honolulu isn't bad, usually an hour or so.

If you like beaches, hiking and nature, Kauai can't be beat!

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu, Maui, or Kauai? Suggestions please!

I totally agree with Debtman and Kwils (and I should because they both know more about Kauai than I do ;-)).

I was on Kauai for 8 days in April this year and that was way too short to see as much as I had planned on. So you might want to just do one island this time and save the other for another trip like Kwils suggested. Remember to take some breaks and relax on the beaches or on the lani. It can be a lot of work having fun!!

Aloha :-)

Dan