We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island V. Maui

Austin
4 posts
Save Topic
Big Island V. Maui

I'm sure this has been covered in other formus but trying to find the answer is like doing reasearch on Hawaii...very overwhelming! This is a first time trip for us...Me, my husband and our three kids (9, 6, and 4). We are planning on a trip in late June, early July for ten days. We are leaning toward the Kolea Villas in Waikoloa, BI. We love staying in a condo - more space, kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. From what we can tell, these are new units and the only ones in the area "on the beach." I understand there has been construction there and at the Marriot but we are not deterred. We picked BI because of all of the activity...my kids love to play on the beach, but they also love to go on excursions. And, my husband is not one to sun bathe all day. We will be renting a car and feel we have plenty of time to mix it up and see just about everything. For me, if I'm going to travel all of that way, then seeing volcanoes is a must.

A friend of mine travelling around the same time with the same number of kids picked Maui. They are staying in a resort and plan on doing very little...pool every day, swim with dolphins, go in a submarne, etc. I understand that Maui is very tropical and that the beaches are beautiful.

Given how active we like to be, do you agree that the BI is a good choice for us? I know if you ask ten people, you will get ten different answers, but what am I missing?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

(P.S. I don't know why my name is SinCity - I do not live in Vegas and do not know how to change it!)

seattle
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Island V. Maui

Great choice over Maui.

Not so many beaches, but one of the greatest at the state park to the north.

Don't forget to take the kids to the dolphins at the Hilton and you can get them a chance to swim with them if you apply early, but is fairly expensive.

Many other sights besides the volcanos-ancient villages, place of refuge, lots of flowers, mountains, streams, etc.

Read lots and you still won't have enough time

Our 4th trip is next month and we still haven't seen it all

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Island V. Maui

Big Island is amazing! your family would have a blast on a Fairwinds snorkel boat cruise, at the Kona Village Luau, at Kahalu'u Beach Park snorkeling, beach day at Hapuna Beach, and exploring the volcano (stop at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach on the way & see huge Sea Turtles laying in the sun on the beach! lots of variety, and tons of family fun!! All are kid-friendly, and enjoyable for parents too!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Island V. Maui

The only downside I would mention is that it's going to be hot and humid due to the time of year ... the sun will be fierce between 11 and 3 pm, so plan to work around that ... you'll be happy to be on the water I'm sure. The Hilton Waikoloa is IMHO a real heat sink, I have felt like I was going to melt there in July ... it is however, very pleasant to stroll around there as the day gets on.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Island V. Maui

The BI is our favorite of all the islands to visit for all the reasons you mentioned. The only downside for many first time visitors might be how big it really is and how long it takes to get from place to place. I think it is a great choice. In fairness, though, on Maui, you can also rent a condo. You don't have to stay in a resort and sit around the pool all day as your friends are planning. There are beautiful beaches on the BI that are a lot less crowded. Why have you chosen to stay in Waikoloa? Is it near the excursions you plan on taking or are you choosing it because the condo unit is really nice? If all your activities are planned for the Kona area and south, it will take 45 minutes to get from your condo to Kona and that's without the rush hour traffic. The Kolea Villas are not on the beach, they are near a beach. I think there is a road in front of the units. My kids loved the VNP. Right now they will not see a surface lava flow, however. By the time you are there it might change. How long is your trip? Have you been reading travel books? Have you read trip reports on the BI forum? That is a really good way to find out things to do, places to eat, and other valuable information that might be helpful. Good luck in your planning.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Island V. Maui

I prefer Maui over the Big Island but I am more a beach/pool/shopping person than a hiking sightseeing person.

Depends on what you want to do and see.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Island V. Maui

If your friends think they are going to be swimming with dolphins on Maui, like at the Hilton on the BI or Discovery Cove, they have been deceived. The only ones you can swim with are the wild ones in the ocean and only if they stick around when you get in the water. I would say if you are doing what you like and they are doing what they like, you have both made the right choices .

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Island V. Maui

Please stay away from the wild dolphins and don't even attempt to swim with them. It is against the law to harass the mamals here and there is a steep fine for it. Our dolphin population is getting smaller and smaller because of activities like this and the cause is not helped by the illegal boating operations that promise you swimming with the dolphins.

8. Re: Big Island V. Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 20, 2009