We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas-Fort Worth...
Level Contributor
97 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

earthquake claimed another fun place.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

that is correct . it will cost 12 million to repair the flume

also the Hawaii Forest and Trails waterfall hike is no more

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

Oh shoot. That's a shame, that was a wonderful hike by HF&T. We just took it this year too.

Sad to hear that :(

Manassas, VA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

How sad! I enjoyed flumin' da ditch almost 6 years ago, and I am wearing my high-fashion Flum'in da Ditch T-shirt today. I didn't know it had been damaged. Too bad.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

and I will TRY not to sound like a cranky resident, but the fact the attraction was ruined is a miniscule aspect of the serious loss to the island that occurred with ruination of the Kohala Ditch.

the Ditch was still an important part of our infrastructure, the source of irrigation water for all those mac not orchards and other farming ventures in North Kohala. The crawfish farm too. And now they are having a drought and all they have to irrigate with is County water.

It's really a hardship for some people and families. It's much bigger than an adventure ride going out of business ... which I realize that most of you probably didn't know <off soapbox>

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

KK, you didn't sound cranky. I appreciated your post!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

oh good! Thanks ...

the damage to the ditch caused by the quake was extensive, and although it would be wonderful to get it fixed, doesn't look like it will come together. It was a feat of engineering created to service the operations of King Cane, and the king is dead ...

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

Maybe a dumb question, but it just occurred to me... where's all the water that was in the ditch now going? If the ditch was destroyed, seems like the water would have to find a new route unless it was still able to pass through the damaged portion of the ditch.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

Not a dumb question JC. I don't know for sure but since it was part of an irrigation system I would assume they have control gates to either allow the flow or send it somewhere else.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

Good point about the gates. Just was wondering if anyone suddenly had a new stream in their backyard. That's a lot of water in those ditches.

They truly are an amazing part of Hawaii today. I was lucky enough to see both this ditch and a few on Kauai up close these last few years; just incredible - especially when they go into the mountain cliffs. It's almost easy to forget that man had to make all of them - they look so natural (in a way). In fact, just looking over a detailed map of any island will impress folks with the irrigations channels and ponds. The ponds I think are what really worry folks - especially after what happened on Kauai a year or so ago. Those reservoirs are in much need of strengthening after a century or more.

Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: flumin 'da ditch is closed for good.

These postings were created in July of 07. Is the ditch open now? I am going in July of this year and was looking forward to riding them!!