We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Weather on Kona Coast

Regina
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Best Weather on Kona Coast

I am looking at booking a place on the Big Island, and am flexible. We do like lots of Sunshine, a good beach and some resturants in the area. We will have a car, so driving isn't a problem. I guess th emphasis is on Sunshine. I know some areas get less rain than others, so thats what we prefer. From the litte reading I have done, it looks like the Waikola area may be a good fit.

Am I on the right track?

hova

Canada
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

South Kohala area experiences clear blue skies, little rain and close proximity to some of the Island's best beaches.

Waikoloa Beach Resort and Mauna Lani resort offer many options for lodging that will fit just about every pocketbook.

You are on the right track.What is your nightly budget? Condo or Hotel...How many bedrooms?

Edited: 2:16 pm, June 08, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

Yes, but that's the Kohala Coast, not the Kona Coast.

Please do read through the Top Questions on where to stay. I prefer the Mauna Lani area over Waikoloa Beach for a variety of reasons but both will get you close to the island's best beaches, are usually out of the vog, and have the best weather.

Regina
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

Budget is about $200 per night. I am good with either a condo or hotel, but a condo would work out better if our daughter joins us for the second week of our two week stay. I am looking at next January or February. I like to book early, so I have started looking now. hova

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

It's actually none that early. People often book a year in advance for the busy season. $200 per night will get you a lot of choice on the Kohala Coast, but not oceanfront, although you will be close to many beaches and ocean access.

Edited: 8:47 pm, June 08, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,072 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

You can start on VRBO using the "Kohala Coast" location umbrella. That will sort out both Waikoloa Beach Resort and Mauna Lani. Use the additional filters to screen out some of the quantity.

You will not get much from a hotel in that range in high season, and if you do it will be a less desirable room. Condos are the type of lodging where you get exception value in Kohala.

Re the name of the area-- the island is divided into 9 formal districts, and the west coast, from south to north, is South Kona, North Kona, South Kohala, North Kohala. These districts extend like pie pieced into the center of the island. Waikoloa is just into South Kohala. Kailua Kona town is in North Kona, which includes the land between town and Waikoloa, the KOA airport also lying north of town.

Kailua Kona is on the slopes of Hualalai mountain, and while it is not wet like the east side, it gets more overcast. In winter it is sunnier than in summer, but it has vog at all times of year, which adds a haze. Kohala gets the vog much less often.

If you like a somewhat bustling atmosphere with lively shopping area, and snorkeling is not your main passion, you might be more of a Waikoloa type. If you like quiet serenity and good snorkeling, Mauna Lani. ML is also more upscale condos generally speaking. There are exceptions to that. I think there are more families with kids that stay in Waikoloa.

Good luck and feel free to post links when you have some top choices.

Do read that Top Question on where to stay as there are topics linked with good condo suggestions.

Regina
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

Thanks for your help. Looks like I have some research to do before I book. hova

7. Re: Best Weather on Kona Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 13, 2014