We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Access

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Access

I've heard there is no proper beach around the Waikaloa Village Hilton. Is this true? How can this be? If it is true, where is the closest beach?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Access

No beach, just cliffs. Beaches 10 min away.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Access

There is also Anaeho'omalu Bay (A Bay) which is just a short walk down the road (or you can drive and park nearby.) There is a man-made beach area, just not a natural beach on the Hilton property

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,780 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Access

Right, Anaehoomalu Bay is a ten minute walk or so. It was hit pretty hard by the tsunami and never was a great beach, swimming and snorkeling are not very good, but it has nice sunsets, and usually turtles.

I personally don't consider the strip of sand fronting the lagoon at the Hilton a beach at all..even a "man made" beach. It doesn't face the ocean and barely is wide enough for the lounge chairs.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,761 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Access

You asked how it can be ...

Well, there is a lot of coastline here but few beaches. The hotels that plan to have a big pool complex may feel that the beach is not so important. In the case of the Hilton, which was originally a Hyatt Regency development, there was a large natural lagoon (which no doubt they augmented artificially) that was to be a swimming and recreational lagoon.

I had a friend whose daughter worked there in the mid-90ʻs, who would stay there to see her daughter and grandkids, who said she really enjoyed swimming in the lagoon. So I think it must have been nicer and clearer at the beginning. It has gotten pretty murky and does not appeal to me, but you can imagine that if it were all crystalline it would be quite amazing for swimming.

There is an ocean entry for the lagoon, of course, as it is an inlet (Naniku Inlet), but the Hilton has posted signs to warn guests away from it as dangerous.

The Anaehoʻomalu Bay Kolea access, north of the Marriott, is the closest access from the road. The larger public lot is south of the Marriott and at the location of Lava Lava Beach Club.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Access

Anaeho'omalu Bay is indeed closeby and enjoyed by many. There are also terrific beaches about 10 mins away by car.

We have friends that stayed at KingsLand last January with pool privileges at the Hilton...and reported an enjoyable time snorkeling in the lagoon. They went over a few times during their 10 night stay.

6. Re: Beach Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 04, 2014