We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

Temecula, California
8 posts
Save Topic
Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

We need help selecting a hotel in the BI!! We have narrowed it down to the the above hotels, but cannot decide. This is our first time to the BI...we previously visited Oahu and Maui. I will be traveling with my wife and two daughters, ages 6 and 8 in July 2013. We enjoy lounging by pool, shopping, trying new foods, and participating in resort activities. We plan on getting a car rental. We are very confused as to what would be the best location in the BI for us. We will be there 6 nights and are willing to spend up to $250 per night if the above 2 hotels are not recommended. We plan on visiting waterfalls, hiking, shopping, and hanging out at the beach. Would any of the 2 hotels above work better for us? Any input would be appreciated!!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

I would not choose either of these hotels. With a family of four you would be much better off in a condo. Larger, cheaper, an option to cook some meals or if not at least to have drinks and snacks.

You can get a beautiful, large, luxury condo on the sunny South Kohala coast for well within your price range. You might like Waikoloa Beach for its proximity to restaurants and shops, I prefer the quieter Mauna Lani resort. Please read through the Top Question on where to stay on the west side for a full discussion and comparison of several areas, specific hotels and condos.

arkansas
Level Contributor
474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

Marriott

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

The Marriott is directly across the street from some nice shopping. It has a pool that my kids loved. The weather is better in Waikoloa too.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

I, too would recommend a condo ....probably within Waikoloa Beach Resort given your specifications.

As you likely know both Hotel properties are Marriott( for the moment). Perhaps you are looking to redeem some Marriott rewards points??...as you mention spending "$250"..... If either hotel isn't recommended?

There are quite a few options close to shops and restaurants. You might even be able to get a ground floor unit at Kolea for $250/ night

The rooms at Marriott Waikoloa are teenie tiny with Lanais to match.It is however located in South Kohala which is known for clear skies, little rain and close proximity to some of the Island's best beaches.

A condo offers a spacious accommodation with usually roughly 3 times the sq footage of a hotel room.A typical 2 BR/2 BA unit allows for separate sleeping quarters, kitchen and laundry...all very handy with a group of four.It is nice not to have to tip toe around once the wee ones are sleeping.

If a hotel is your preference....I would look beyond the Marriott group on the Big Island in South Kohala.....Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid...perhaps Hapuna Prince.

Temecula, California
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

Thank you for all of your responses. Thanks to your input, we've expanded our search to condos in the waikoloa area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

Hii there

We will be on the Big Island mid may....two nights in Hilo and 3 nights on the Kona side.

Had booked the Courtyard King and saw a previous post which did notbrecommend the hotel.

I realized staying at a chain hotel would not be the experience I wanted. We are now booked in Bed & Breakfasts for our entire BI stay and am so much happier with my decision .....thanks!

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

From those 2, Marriott

I understand those who like the condos, but most wiakoloa condos less cost than hotels are not oceanfront or beachfront and I dont fly 5000 miles not to be at least at an oceanfront property. Further, I find good food choices at reasonable prices there too so the kitchen isnt such a big plus for us

Mauna Lani, like shea says, is nice at it goes off well in your price range on Hotwire for $178-215 per the reporting site better bidding dot com. Punching in random July dates, I see a 4.5* in that area for $208 now . ML has a calm but small beach for your children too

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

Well, I think for a family of four, the privacy and space afforded by a condo, plus the benefits of laundry and kitchen facilities, far outweigh the negative of not being oceanfront. Truthfully even at a hotel you're not going to get an oceanfront or even ocean view room at those lower levels of pricing, you'll be in a garden view anyway. Cramming four people into 400 sf or less for more than you'd pay for a 1300 sf condo just to me doesn't make sense. Certainly no privacy for mom and dad, which they might want on a Hawaii vacation! But everyone is different, and you'll have to weigh your own pros and cons.

Temecula, California
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

I truly appreciate all your advice! The search for us continues considering all of your great input!

10. Re: Marriott waikaloa or the Courtyard King Kamehamehas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 30, 2014