We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church or Community Suppers

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Church or Community Suppers

We have found church or community suppers to be a really fun meal at some point when travelling. Does anyone know how I can find out if any are going on on the Big Island on January 17,18, or 19, 2013? We will first be in Hilo and then the west side of the island. Also, any travel tips for routes to drive from Volcano National Park to the west side of the island are appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church or Community Suppers

Look at the events calendar on konaweb.com and look in the local paper once there. Northern route via Waimea is verl lush and green, you can see Waipio overlook on the way with modest sidetrip. southern route is quicker to Kailua-Kona and has stark beauty in many spots. I like both. Punaluu Bake Shop in Naahalehu (sp) is a must stop for us on the south route :-)

Edited: 3:33 pm, January 06, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church or Community Suppers

That events calendar is excellent and I use it all the time.

Are you staying in Waikoloa? At the beach resort area?

There are no churches there AFAIK and it's not much of a community due to the high presence of visitors, but Waikoloa Village six miles up is a residential community with I think four churches: Baptist, Lutheran, Community, Abundant Life Ministries. There might be a fifth.

There is a community calendar for the VIllage which lists activities for residents and church services:

http://www.waikoloa.org/calendar

The churches listed on the calendar are clickable for contact info.

Waimea is a little farther away and also has churches, as does North Kohala.

Waikoloa Village has a monthly newsletter called Waikoloa Breeze, and I took a look and do not see any events other that a fashion luncheon on the 16th.

Another place to look for events is on Starbuck's bulletin board, the BB at KTA supermarket (Waimea or Hilo), but these are more for benefits and concerts.

It is honestly tough to coincide with something when you only have three days.

Hilo will be working up to celebrating Chinese New Year; that's the big event in January.

3. Re: Church or Community Suppers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 08, 2014