We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

johns creek, ga
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

We want to check our kids into the kids camp at the Hilton Waikoloa for the day and spend the day at the spa, laying by the pool and eating and drinking. BUT, we are not staying at the Hilton. I've been told by the resort that it's $160 for the day to use the facilities and they issue a wrist band that allows access to the pools, etc. After spending all that $$$ on the camp and spa, I can't believe we'd have to spend another $160 to lay by the pool. Does anyone have any info of their guest policies, or how hard it is to lay by the pool without a wristband?

California
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

Without a Hilton pool towel you'd stand out like a sore thumb to security and to get either a towel or the wrist band you need to give a room number and last name. I know it doesn't seem right but I've seen the Hilton security people look the other way depending on who they are.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

You only want to lie by the pool, and don't want to go in the water? And listen to loud pool noise? There are other places to relax on the grounds of the Hilton.

If you don't want to swim, and your kids are in a kids camp, why don't you call the hotel and explain what you want to do?

Btw, I sure wouldn't want to sunbathe by the Kona Pool. It's hot and humid and no breeze.

johns creek, ga
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

Where would you go to relax at the Hilton, without the kids?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

I'd just go to a nearby beach, there is Anaehoomalu next door which is ok for strolling and has lots of turtles, and a beach bar/restaurant at Lava Lava Beach Club. Hapuna, Waialea beaches are about 15 minutes north. The food and drink at the Hilton is overpriced and mediocre, the pools noisy, no beach, plus yes, you'll need to pony up the $160 for the wrist band or they'll toss you out.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

You can still stroll the grounds and enjoy the gardens and statuary at the Hilton for no charge.......It took us about an hour to do that, even took the boat ride......all free and we were not made to feel unwelcome......we saw the pools but did not try go into any of them.......In January last year we saw very few people actually in the water at the Hilton.....I don't think the pools are heated.......

California
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

I know this always starts an argument around here but the Lagoon beach (not the chairs or towels) within the resort is open to the public. I asked about this last June when we were there and they confirmed it. I don't know all the legal reasons but apparently the lagoon is a "natural" body of water and is treated like all beaches in Hawaii and must remain free to the public.

Let the arguments begin!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

Clint, as I understand it, public access only applies to shoreline up to the high water mark. The fact that the Hilton's lagoon is (arguably) a "natural" ocean fed lagoon doesn't entitle anyone to public access, and there is no beach there (the trucked in small strip of sand not facing the ocean notwithstanding). However, for the sake of argument, even if there was public access, you can't use the loungers or towels and you will get a hard time from some staff. It doesn't seem worth it to me since it's not actually a beach and you'd have to sit on the sand right at the foot of everyone's loungers.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

According to amberloo, there was a legal battle over the lagoon and the public won; the details are in some past topic. His post was about the right to swim and snorkel, not to sunbathe, so not sure about the sand.

Lava Lava is nice and has some shade (which is desirable here if you don't want to broil). There are some loungers on the sand too, although no cushions on them.

The only reason I'd want to hang IN the Hilton grounds would be if it were one of Kohala's ultra windy winter days. One of those days where regular beaches are unusable because of blowing sand. The Hilton's lack of breeze flow makes it kind of a refuge, but I have been there on windy days and the lagoon beach is not protected enough (the Kona pool area is).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

Here is that topic, just for those who may be curious:

Post #9

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60608-i629-k35343…

As I read it, the developer may have illegally altered the natural shape of the inlet's shoreline, which could make the mean tide rule inapplicable in this case as a penalty for doing that. ?

Note: it was Hyatt that would have overseen the original construction. Hilton bought it from Hyatt.

Edited: 6:11 pm, December 02, 2012
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,171 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guest Day at Hilton Waikoloa Resort

Does anyone know if another hotel, maybe the Fairmont, lets spa customers use the pool? Better ambiance in my opinion and just 10 or so minutes away...OP, I would call Spa w/o Walls and ask. Nice shoreline there to lounge on...not as hyper as Hilton.

Edited: 7:48 pm, December 02, 2012