We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

Arriving on September 30 in Kona, staying in Waikoloa for a week at Paniola Greens. Any suggestions on grocery shopping near Waikoloa? It seems I've read something on this forum that Paniola Greens turns the refrigerators off when the units are vacant, and that it (naturally) takes time for them to cool off. So not sure about stopping on the way between the airport and Waikoloa for groceries is the best idea. But we also don't want to spend our first afternoon in the car doing chores! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

The KTA Waikoloa Village market is virtually in the backyard of ol ' Paniolo Greens.

Great grocery, bakery deli etc

Not to worry there is virtually "nothing" between KOA and the turn-off for the WV to be tempted

ktasuperstores.com/waikoloa-village-market.a…

Check out the weekly ad link.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
829 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

I have stayed at the Paniolo Greens many times and have never found the refrigerator turned off when I arrived. In fact, I have always found ice in the ice maker.

There is a Costco just south of the airport. If you're wanting to save some money and can deal with Costco quantities, make a stop before you go up to Waikoloa. It's about half an hours drive from Costco to the Paniolo Greens, and remember that check in time is 3PM, though we have often been able to check in hours earlier. Frozen stuff may thaw a bit enroute, but refrigerated stuff will probably be okay if you run the air conditioner in your car. I suggest that you get a roasted chicken for your first night's dinner.

The supermarket in Waikoloa Village is your best nearby supermarket as Wanderlust noted. There is Foodland in the Mauni Lani complex, but I have seldom bought anything there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

I am not one who would enjoy going to Costco straight off the plane, esp. on first visit.

Just go to the condo, then the store in Waikoloa Village is open until I think 9 pm (but check).

So go put your feet in the water and enjoy the sunset if you have time, you can shop whenever it is convenient, virtually next door to the market.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

Any recommendation for Costco always needs to remind people that it's for members only, and membership costs $55. For the majority of vacationers who aren't already Costco members, you'll never save enough to make up for the membership fee...let alone the hassle.

5. Re: Grocery Shopping Near Waikoloa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 21, 2013