We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Club Concerns

jersey shore
Level Contributor
30 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bay Club Concerns

I recently exchanged our timeshare to go to the Bay Club on the Hilton Waikoloa property. My husband and I are from NJ and before I make this long, long trip, I would like to know if the Bay Club is worth the long trip to stay there. Seeing mixed reviews on the property and I am concerned. I still have time to cancel and look for another property.

California
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Club Concerns

First off it's not on the Hilton property but it is in the Waikoloa resort area. I stayed there several years ago with our family and enjoyed everything about the property. Can't think of anything negative to say about it. Like most condo properties in Waikoloa, it's set away's back from the ocean so there's little or no ocean view in case your looking for that. The Waikoloa resort itself is a higher end tourist area and I can't think of even one property that isn't worth staying at and I've been lucky enough to have stayed in most of them.

Edited: 12:01 pm, July 12, 2012
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,128 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Club Concerns

What in the reviews gave you pause?

I've generally heard good things about the Bay Club in terms of size and quality of the accomodations. It is in Waikoloa Beach which has its pros and cons. It has a lot of shops, food courts, and a couple of malls, and feels a bit built up and touristy. It does not have the quiet, more Hawaiiana feel of the Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea complexes, but has more conveniences. The beach, Anaehoomalu Bay, at Waikoloa Beach is not a particularly good beach, gets a lot of wind and is rocky without very good snorkeling or swimming, but it is just a short 10-15 minutes drive to the much nicer beaches and better snorkeling at places like the Mauna Lani or Waialea Bay, Kauna'oa at Mauna Kea, etc.

Edited: 8:35 pm, July 12, 2012
Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Club Concerns

Bay club is the oldest of the time share properties in WBR. While there have been some minor face lift attempts of late...the property still manages to fall short. I would take a Pass.

They do have a rather large Lanai.

Look to the King's Land in WBR for a new expansive property with reciprocal privileges at the HWV property including free parking....if a timeshare is your primary focus for accommodation.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,128 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Club Concerns

My family stayed at King's Land last week. They are beautiful with great pools.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay Club Concerns

The Bay Club was built in 1991 and was one of the first condos built in Waikoloa Beach Resort. (I believe only the Vistas and the Shores are older.) It was not built as a time share place, some units are independently owned, but the timing of the project wasn't good and the unsold units were turned into time shares. Even though the complex is 20 years old, it is a better quality complex than many of the newer condos built during the real estate boom years.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay Club Concerns

There is a recent trip report by a family who stayed at the Bay Club. In case you haven't seen their report, here is the link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k55831…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
181 posts
992 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay Club Concerns

We have been visiting The Bay Club for the past 15 years.

We have stayed at most of the premier properties on the Kohala Coast of the big Island

and The Bay Club is our favorite.

The location is ideal because you are close to five of the best beaches on the BI, and

most of the shopping and restaurants are within 20 minutes.

We have stayed several times in Kailua Kona, Hilo, and Volcano, but The Bay Club

is the best.

Our two bedroom unit is larger than any comparable accomodation. The Lanais are huge and most face the Waikoloa golf course, and the ocean.

This property was completely renovated in 2012.

My son and his bride honeymoned at the Bay Club and he wants to come back for his tenth anniversary four keikis later.

jersey shore
Level Contributor
30 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay Club Concerns

Thanks for your input. We are going ahead with our plans to stay at The Bay Club, but also plan to spend the first few days at one of the beachfront hotels nearby before our week starts there....either Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani or the Fairmont Orchid.

Central California
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bay Club Concerns

Hey

Can't help but see the "golfer" part of your user name. If you have never golfed the Big Island before you will enjoy it (wife and I leave tomorrow for more golf on the BI).

We almost always stay at The Bay Club mostly because we love the huge lanai and easy walk to the Waikoloa Golf courses.

If golf is on your agenda, I always recommend people take a look at the Golf Hawaii Card. Great for discounts and unlimited play if playing a lot is your goal as it always is for us.

There are "nicer" condos than the Bay Club but they have never disappointed us. Mostly we are golfing during the day and sitting on the lanai at night!

Have a great trip.

10. Re: Bay Club Concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 14, 2013