We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paniolo Greens - renovated?

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Paniolo Greens - renovated?

I saw this as a TS available thru II - and most posts I see here about this place are years old. Is Paniolo Greens as remote as some posts seem? This would be thru Shell Vacation Club.

thanks! looking for next year February....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

There have been recent posts here.

The people who have stayed there and reported in here have all liked it. What you need to know is that it's a six mile drive to dining, although a Lava Java now covers coffee and stuff.

Ditto going to the beach, add six miles ...

The Village can be extremely windy, but your lanai ought to be facing west and protected.

Doing any kind of timeshare from Shell eliminates the nicer choices you could make without that constraint, so many have a view of why stay there when it's way nicer down the hill.

At least it places you in South Kohala. If you don't mind a ten minute drive, it is good. As for groceries and liquor, one of the better markets is essentially next door. Also there is a golf course that is well priced.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,128 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

My issue with Paniolo Greens is IMO it's not cheaper enough to justify staying there versus in Waikoloa Beach or even some complexes at the Mauna Lani where you have an enormously nicer, larger, newer condo with often lovely pools and walking distance or a 5 minute drive to beaches. Maybe for longer than usual stays, say two weeks or more, or if you're getting a monthly rate, the savings add up enough to tilt the cost/savings benefit ratio, but for a week or ten days, I think the extra $20-50 per night saved isn't worth it given the downsides of both the complex and the location. Your analysis may well be different because you're staying on points, and everyone is different and has their priorities, and it is true that it's not far from the beaches and resort areas.

Edited: 4:51 pm, July 05, 2012
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

Stayed there last year an loved it. The condos are very large, modern and well appointed. Obviously you have to be cool with being off the beach or it doesn't work for you. But since so many of our destinations were road trips anyways, the 10 minute drives to awesome beaches didn't bother us in the least since we typically combined that with another adventure somewhere else.

You have to have a car on the BI for a reason. Most everything is a decent drive away. What difference does it make that the beaches are also a short drive away? If you're going to want to hang out at the condo all the time and relax on the beach and sample local restaurants, then I agree, this place isn't for you.

I will say that we got an astonishing deal last year that made it quite cheap. Recent searches have shown that the price tag has gone up quite a bit. It appears they are getting more popular. But the price has to be right compared to beach front, that's for sure.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

I agree with that math ...

What is the alternative for the OP, Shea? The other timeshare options are in Kailua-Kona, are they not? I only know from what I've read here.

Would you come here and pay for lodging, and save the points for some other place, Shea?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,128 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

Yes, I would save the points for places where the Timeshares are a better value and have a better location.

For me, while holidaying in beach destinations, being able to be in a serene environment with the ocean and beach in walking distance would be a priority, with a good location for nighttime strolls. I find WV very unappealing and wouldn't enjoy having that as a base. But as with the above poster and many who stay at Paniolo Greens, they don't mind the short drives and don't spend enough time at their base for it to matter. It's all about what kind of traveller you are and what kind of vacation you envision, there's no right or wrong as long as you know what you're getting.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

I agree with Shea, though the OP does not have many choices since there are only two other Shell Timeshare condos on the Big Island. (Both are in Kona.) Paniolo Greens was built in 1990 or so, as a full time ownership condo complex, but the developer could sell only a handful of units and Shell bought the remaining units in bulk. It's isolated, and six miles up from the highway. Add another mile to the closest beach, A-Bay.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

My main issue with staying in Waikoloa Village is the dining. I like to have wine with dinner and many people do like to have something. If you are in the Beach Resort, the drive back to a condo is very mellow.

The drive back up Waikoloa Road is somewhat winding and is two lane road, and has the usual impatient drivers trying to pass people when they don't have the visibility to do it safely ... and there can be animals on the road. Because of that, you should be sober to return to the condo.

Some people wouldn't enjoy a vacation where they can't go out and have drinks and walk or very short drive back to the lodgings. For others it doesn't affect them.

I totally agree about the drive to the beach. The time is insignificant compared to the general amount of drive time on this island.

One factor though is the difficulty of guessing the weather. Being in the Village in a semi-gale force wind, you just don't know what it will be like down the hill. Could be similar or could be only breezy. Staying down near the beach, you know what the weather is.

Many people want to walk to the beach. So that eliminates WV PG for them. Thus the great prices ...

Waikoloa Village is in many ways nicer than it looks from the outside. It's nicer now than it was ten years ago when I moved there. The wind is not as bad now as it was, because all the buildings and the maturing trees are changing it from a place that the wind can howl through unobstructed. All it takes is a decent wind break to create a nice outdoor space there, and the sunsets typically have much more color than the ones right on the beach, lots of bright sky color.

It ain't the Mauna Lani, but it's not bad either.

We stayed at Paniolo Club once when we needed a cheap base for looking at property. That wasn't great because the condo was old and cheap. We've stayed at other condos that were quite nice. Made a big difference in the experience to have a nicely kept condo.

Another plus to the Village is that Waimea is that much closer and an easy drive back. The winding part of Waikoloa Road is mostly below the Village.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

Yes, it is remote and in a colder location than hotels on coast. We exchanged here once years ago before information was available online. We ended up moving after 2 nights because it wasn't the vacation we were looking for at the time.

9. Re: Paniolo Greens - renovated?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 07, 2013