We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

Kokomo, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

Spending 6 days in Waikoloa and have the desire to get a couple rounds of golf...budget is modest, would like to play a top tier resort course and lower tier to make finances work. Just curious for suggestions that might provide the best value?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

Mauna Lani north and south courses. Inquire as to deals that will let you play unlimited golf all day on either course as well as twilight specials, with tee times after 1 or 2pm. The South course has the best ocean views, but I prefer the north course for its quiet, and because it's a bit more challenging.

The Prince courses (Hapuna and Mauna Kea) sometimes have similar deals for non hotel guests depending on their occupancy, but while the MK course is gorgeous (and very hard. And very expensive), the Hapuna course is kind of meh. The Mauna Lani courses aren't as tough as MK but they are in great shape with lovely views and offer good value IMO for what I consider top tier resort courses.

My favorite resort course on the island is Hualalai, but unless they're just completely dead, no non hotel guests (or people invited by a hotel guest) are allowed, and I've never seen them discount their $250 price tag for non hotel guests unless you're kama'aina.

The two Waikoloa Beach courses are generally relatively inexpensive for resort golf. They're fun, but not my favorite. Lots of condo viewing. I prefer the Kings Course.

Makalei, Big Island Country Club, and Waimea Country Club offer upcountry, cool, non resort golf and really great prices. Well maintained courses with unique beauty. The downside is the weather, you generally want to play these courses in the morning to avoid rain.

I think the Kona country Club courses are overpriced and not particularly well maintained.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa Kings' Course
Waikoloa Kings' Course
119 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

I play a lot of golf and that Waikoloa Beach course is my favorite course I have ever played on. It was pretty expensive but I felt it was well worth it. It helped that I hit the ball pretty well that day! There is a signature hole that has the green right next to Budha Point at the Hilton Waikoloa that is just incredible.

I think with the greens fee and club rental it was about $200. Probably a bit more these days. That was 15 years ago.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

Actually, the two Waikoloa Beach courses are not more than that nowadays. The non discounted rate is right around $200 for both club rental and greens fees. But you can do better than those "rack rates". If you're staying at a Waikoloa Beach condo or hotel, most will offer discounted rates.

Neither one of those courses are as good as the other resort options though, IMO.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

There's also the Waikoloa Village course.

http://waikoloavillagegolf.com/

$83.50 until 2:30, then $50, includes golf cart.

I know Shea doesn't care for the Village, and I respect the reasons. The wind can certainly be annoying.

However, the course has its own beauty. There are wild turkeys and goats and the sunsets are lovely. You don't have the drama of playing oceanfront holes, but there is an ocean view.

Here are some shots I took from there:

…webshots.com/photo/2385532500097942048YVLZEa

9 photos, starting there ...

Anyhow, you asked for a low rent suggestion, and $50 qualifies in my mind!

My son plays there every weekend for cheap, and also likes Makalei.

He works on homes in the Hualalai area, and has been invited once or twice to play there, or at Kuki'o, I forget which. He was quite dazzled by the experience. Now if he can just work on getting an invite to the Schwab course. ;-)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

I don't like the Waikoloa Village course because I got real paranoid after taking out a window at a condo at Kona Country Club. There are too many of those hazards at WV! Lol. It's also hot, and can be crowded, so that's why I like Makalei and the Waimea course better, and they're just as cheap.

I too would like to play Nanea, KK! Let us know if he gets an invite :-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

Not too likely, Shea! The invite, I mean.

The homeowners tend not to invite the "help" to socialize. I think he was invited by the general contractor or something like that.

I have stayed in condos around the WV course, and I can relate to the golf ball through window paranoia from the perspective of someone on the other side of the window. I wonder how often it happens. Is it covered by insurance?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

well, we go in Oct. My wife is a golf nut, so am sure we will go at least once in our week. I found a sheet of golf prices on BI on line. So read this thread with interest. condo windows sound like not a good choice

Edited: 5:33 pm, June 26, 2012
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

To be fair, I'm a really terrib...er, *unpredictable* golfer, and that was back when I hadn't been playing for very long (not that I'm not entirely capable of doing that same thing now...). I just don't like a bunch of condos as my backdrop, both for aesthetics, and psychological reasons! Lol.

9. Re: Best Bang For the Buck Kona Golf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, June 28, 2013