We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

I recently rented a Villa from Kolea Luxury Vacations (14D) and apon arrival to the resort was unable to gain access to the Villa. I had to go and rent a Hotel room for the night and did not get a response from anyone until 2:00pm the next day, by this time I had already rented another Villa through Waikoloa Vacation Rentals, who I must say were exellent to deal with and had people right on the location that you could speak with every day. I would highly recommend them for anyone wanting to stay at Kolea. I was also told my money would not be refunded from the Villa (14D).

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

Gee..Sorry to hear of your struggles

We have had a most positive experience with Kolea. Luxury Vacations.

They emailed us the access codes the week prior to our arrival....easy , access on arrival night , gate, unit etc...despite our exhaustion.

They were prompt responders to a few minor queries during our stay....as well as a quick refund of Security Deposit.

A most pleasant experience with KLV...for or month long stay at Kolea.

Accept credit card, no additional fees(as it should be)

Pleasant staff.

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

I am sure glad to hear you had a positive experiance with KLV, I sure wish I could say the same. I was relieved to have found Waikola Vacation rentals as I just wasn't sure what to do with no response from anyone from KVA.

If you ever decide to use Waikola Vacation rentals ask for Rob Dalton, he made our mini nightmare turn into an exceptional vacation.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

You should be able to get your money back from your credit card company. Just a warning to everybody, lots of owners of properties use catchy names for their rentals. It doesn't mean they are registered and/or licensed. Check the Hawaii DCCA web site for such info and check the complaints history of the "company" too.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

Shawn - can you give us a bit more detail about what went wrong please. Was the code for the key pad wrong? Do they not provide an emergency number for after business hours, or is the 1-800 # the only number provided? I see that they have a California address on their website ... did they provide an on-island contact for you? What was their explanation when you spoke to them the following day about your inability to get into the unit and inability to contact them?

thanks,

Susan

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

Hi Susan,

What happened was I booked with them back in January, they sent me a confirnation email with a reference number and that was all that was sent. There was never any mention of an access code for the gate ot the Villa. When we arrived I was told by the manager that I could not gain access and would need to contact my booking agent. I called KLV twice and then left a message, no return call. We then had to rent a room at the Hilton for the night. We proceeded back to Kolea the next morning, I called and left another message then talked to the facility manager, he called 5 or 6 different numbers and could not reach anyone. At this piont I did not know if the company had gone under or maybe i was scammed so I rented another Villa. I received a call at 2pm that afternoon from them with the codes i needed. i told them I rented another Villa and was told my money would not be refunded. They do not have any people on the island to deal with, and was told that there was no record of me calling until 10:30am the morning of the 13th.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

It is against the law not to have an on island contact, and there should be someone to deal with after hours arrivals.

Call the DCCA ... as well as doing the CC dispute.

I am so sorry to hear that your vacation got off to a lousy start and your time was wasted hassling like that.

I was once locked out of a rental unit from 6 pm to midnight after returning from KOA with a new arrival ... I still remember sitting on the steps for hours while the management was out having dinner somewhere. Not a good feeling. But at least I was inside the complex, not outside the gate like you were!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

That is correct, all property owners not living on the island and renting their units must have an on-island property manager. You might want to call them back to reveal that you know of this law, and they propbably will refund your money with interest and pay for your Hilton room too! :):):)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

It sounds like the OP encountered a number of unnecessary roadblocks.

KLV certainly dropped the ball by not ensuring their guests had all the access codes they required on arrival day.

Perhaps some inexperience came into play as well. Personally having travelled extensively...I would not leave my departure city without access instructions,tucked under my belt. I would want to know what the process was...Is there an office? Will they be open when I arrive?

Will I be sent a key....access code.?.?. Who do I call on island if the refrigerator fails etc etc..This is all done in the prep phase. It mattered not where the contracting company was located...as long as there was someone on Island to contact during the trip (as is the law)

I do believe the OP should not incur any loss of funds from KLV as they failed to,provide her/him with access prior to arrival and the subsequent alternate accommodations made were reasonable given the circumstances.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

Shawn,

Thanks for the additional info. I had the same thoughts as Wanderlust, that perhaps you had missed getting or taking some important info with you. The whole process of renting private condos can be confusing to a first time renter and it's up to the owner or rental agency to fill you in on all of the details.

We often rent privately and when the owners send the access information, they ask that you confirm receipt of it. An agency should have the same procedure in place.

When you finally spoke to them, did they have any explanation as to why you didn't have the access info prior to your trip? Did they explain why they weren't reimbursing you or covering your costs for your night's stay at the Hilton? Providing the access info a day after you've arrived, and refusing to reimburse you without an explanation seems odd.

Susan

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Kolea Luxury Vacations

Susan,

When I did talk to them I was told that it was up to the owner of the Villa to have sent me the access information. I am not sure how the process works, all I know is I did not have it and being our first trip to this resort was not aware that I needed this information, I would think this would be provided to people in the booking process. The explanation that I was given is that i cancelled the reservation within the 60 period!! I didn't cancel anything I was looking out for my families best interest and provided us with a place to stay.