We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

San Francisco
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

We are traveling in a few weeks to stay at Halii Kai in Waikoloa with our two 3 y.o. toddlers. My husband's conference is at the Hilton Waikoloa and we are trying to figure out the best way to get the family over to the Hilton Waikoloa for some of the family breakfasts/ dinners at the conference. I hear there is a waterfront path- is that passable with a wagon and/or double stroller, and how long would that take?

Also - we decided not to stay at the Hilton to opt for the convenience of a condo with a kitchen, but would we be able to ride the boats/ trams without being Hilton guests? Similarly, would we be able to rent paddle boats at the lagoon without being guests?

Thanks for the help!

Angela

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

The trail is just a trail and you won't be able to take a vagon(?)/stroller there. The Hilton dos not have the boats going around anymore, but you can ride the tram without being a guest. You can not use the facilities without being a guest unless you buy their Resort Pass. It's available based on how busy they are and the last time I checked it was $60.00.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

Well...the ocean lava path between Hali'i Kai and the Hilton hotel is about a 10 minute walk(Starting from HK ocean club) However with a baby stroller/wagon.....I would say it is technically wide enough for the stroller for only a portion of the trail. There is a section that narrows considerably and you have to swing around a Palm tree right at the ocean's edge maybe only 18 inches wide. One must consider however the others that use the trail. It would be near impossible for both parties to pass if you were pulling/ pushing a stroller/ wagon....someone would have to step onto the uber sharp lava. We see many folks hiking along with young ones in a backpack type set-up.....but I realize this would not work for you when by yourself.

What building are you in @ HK? This will determine the length of the trip.

I suspect your best walking route would be along Waikoloa Beach drive.

I believe they are phasing out the boats at HWV....if they haven't already....leaving just the trams as an alternative to one's two feet to navigate this Mega property.

HK is a good choice.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,068 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

The best way to get over there with toddlers is to drive over and park. Check and see if they will validate your parking for attending the meal events. They do validate parking for people who come to lunch, but they have their rules about what kind of spending gets your parking validated and what does not.

California
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

The boats were running last week while I was there. The restaurants and lagoon are open to the public and I'm sure renting a boat wouldn't be a problem as long as you have money to spend. Because the lagoon is a natural body of water, the Hilton is required under state law to keep it open for the public just like all the beaches in Hawaii.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,336 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

The Hilton is not required to open its hotel or lagoon to the public because the lagoon is a "natural body of water". Hawaii's shoreline public access laws are much more convoluted than that. And what boats are you talking about renting??

The Hilton does allow anyone to walk their property and eat there, but only because it's good business.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

We walked up there from our condo last week.......the employees were very welcoming.......we spent a couple hours just walking around, taking the tram, reading the restaurant menus, checking out the dolphin tanks and the tropical fish in the lagoon.......reminded me a lot of a Las Vegas style theme hotel complex, fun to explore but I wouldn't want to stay there......there are nice wide sidewalks along the main street leading to the Hilton.....It may be a longer walk than the beach trail, but you could just take a stroller down the sidewalk......keep your eyes open for mongoose, they run across the sidewalk occasionally....I know they are an invasive species, but have to admit they are cute !

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

Personally, I wouldn't bother driving from Hali'i Kai to the Hilton. They are next door to each other, and frankly, my recollection is that it's almost as far to walk from the parking lot to the front entrance as it is from the Hali'i Kai to the Hilton's entrance. And if they won't validate your parking, why bother?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

Make note, if you drive and park at the Hilton, your parking will be about a 10 minute walk to the buildings themselves, so be prepared w/your little guys.

There are sit-on-top kayaks in the lagoon, I can't remember if they have peddleboats, as well or not.

Don't have an answer for you about walking around the grounds, from what I remember, when we stayed there, I would have thought the paths were wide enough for a stroller, can't imagine that you would be the first who would need one...why don't you call the hotel and ask them your questions, best to get it straight from the horses mouth.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,336 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

The original reference to boats was to the ones that used to transport people, not the kayaks, etc for rent in the lagoon.

Last I heard, those (the transport boats) had stopped. They were always really slow anyway, but had more charm than

the monorail.

The OP is not asking about the paths at the hotel but rather if the path from Halii Kai to the hotel is stroller suitable. They got a much better and more detailed answer to that question above from Wanderlust than they ever would have

gotten calling the hotel (good luck with that!)

Edited: 12:53 pm, February 03, 2012
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions regarding Halii Kai and Hilton Waikoloa

Sorry I misunderstood the question about the paths.

They did ask about the boats on the lagoon, that's why I responded.