We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore Fishing

Woodbury, MN
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shore Fishing

I am interested in fishing during my April trip to Kona. I am looking for information about shoreline fishing rather than off shore so that I can enjoy more time in the activitiy. Any tips or suggestions are welcome. I will be bringing some reels and tackle with but will buy the rods there. The area that I will have access to are the beaches north of Kona up to Kawaihae. I have been looking into this for some time but so much of the info is focus on big fish and big money and I am a small fish with shallow pockets. Thanks

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore Fishing

Sounds like fun, but I'd rather fish for big northern pike in Canada with my brother-in-law. He has deep pockets.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore Fishing

Aloha...

The shore you are fishing is new and rugged with rapid drop offs to serious water. The deep up welling gives most fish of any size a lot of food... and they stay out 1/ 2 mile or better. where the food is. Not along the shore. Be aware of numerous marine reserves where no fishing is alowed at all.

You wont catch much along the lava other than a sun-burn

Also fresh water mixes with salt along these areas to create a strange area. Earily Hawaiians built fish ponds to raise fish on this coast.

Good luck.......Kona pier is closed to fishing as it is a cruise port.

You may have luck around the small boat harbor but don't expect anything other than very small reef fish.

Everyone I know fishes off shore for everything.................sorry.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore Fishing

I did shore fish one night for alua, a serious 60-120 pound fish with a local maniac. It takes specialized tackle (we did what's called slide-baiting) and a good drop off - I can't tell you where to go for that. Local knowledge required. I can't imagine a non-local doing this successfully.

We caught moray eels that we used for bait, but got no alua that night. They are a rush, like hooking a freight train that drags your line over coral razor blades.

Stay out of the water at night.

My tip: Kona is a cheap place to off shore fish. Just charge it and pay later. It's the trip of a lifetime. I caught a 9 foot marlin last year, and someone caught a 850 pounder the last day I was there. Mahi and tuna are more frequent, but you'll fish a long time in Florida to match the fishing in Kona and probably pay more.

Live a little.

Good luck.

Victoria
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore Fishing

I am looking for a good fishing charter trip off shore for big game fish, preferably pirvate, Will be in Kolea Feb. 28 -March 9. I have never fished there before and am looking for some suggestions on who are the better fishermen/charters there? What is an off shore day fishing trip worth?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore Fishing

my husband fishes for ulua off of the North Kohala coast, around Upolu airport. People also fish around the lighthouse are in Kapa'au, and I'm sure there are other spots. But his favorite fishing is to go out of Kawaihae and go up the Kohala coast from there.

North Kohala is the oldest part of this young island (see Dan's comment) -- in that the last volcanic eruption there was some 60,000 years ago.

A lot of people shore fish in Hilo and also off the Puna coastline, in HPP, around Opihikao, Pohoiki ...

maybe the fish are closer to shore on the east side?

(I would certainly not eat any fish out of Hilo Bay due to pollution...or any reef fish without learning which local fish are prone to ciguatera).

There is a book series called Fishing in Hawaii, Pt 1 and 2, with a lot of detail, drawings, etc. It is focused on shore fishing. You might enjoy consulting it.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore Fishing

Actual title of the book series:

Fishing Hawaii Style, #1, #2, #4

by Jim Rizzuto

Another book that looks good but costs 4 times as much:

Shore Fishing in Hawaii by Edward Hosaka

Available through Amazon.com

and I've seen copies of the first series in stores here ... bought my copies as gifts at the used book store next to Kona Brewery.

7. Re: Shore Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:11 am, October 10, 2016
Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore Fishing

Aloha MNangler,

Ka Lae is the southern tip of Hawai`i Island and is known for it's shore fishing. There is almost always someone out there fishing. It is a favorite spot to overnight, busier in the summer, but throughout the year as well. There are some tricks to making that a good experience.

1!) Do some homework to find out whatever you can ahead of time.

Just showing up is fine for curiousity fishers but it takes a few visits to get a feel for what is happening there and where you might be able to set a line without upseting someone who is a regular. You've got to strike up a few conversations, get an angle on things, learn the technique for getting your line out to the deep water, and find a spot that offers some shelter from the wind but isn't exposed to the occasional rogue wave. A lot of folks bring tarps.

2) Get the right gear! You may find you need to do the first one before you go buy something to fish with.

3) Be advised that this spot drawa local folks all the way from Hilo and the Kona area. A humble approach will go a long ways. Try to push and you will instantly be unwelcome. Take it slow and you'll meet some great folks who love to fish.

Ka Lae is know for Ulua, Aku, and Ahi right off the shore. Other fish are less frequent. It not that rare for someone to snag a small hammerhead. Cut the tackle and start over. These are not sport fisherman. They are angling for food and the last thing they want on their line is a shark or a marlin.

wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shore Fishing

I chartered the "Hooked up" boat last Jan. I have only chartered twice on the BI. I caught a 8 1/2' Stripped Marlin and several Tuna. I will only use "Hooked Up" charters from now on.

Gll

Hamakua
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shore Fishing

Aloha MNangler,

Any of the "Fishing Hawaiian Style" books by Jim Rizzuto is a great read. There are a whole variety of fishing styles from bamboo pole with tied on line to the big "slide bait" rigs and he covers most of them in detail.

A friend of mine likes to "annoy the papio" by downsizing his rig to really light line, small pole and tiny reel - using one or two pound test. He hooks up these little four to eight inch papio (juvenile Giant Trevally) which zip out and fight like stink. (Considering their size and all.) He then turns them loose again since they are too small to eat but it is a lot of fun.

Tokunaga's Fishing Supply store in Hilo is a nice place to get rods, but it is on the wrong side of the island for you. J. Hara opened a fishing supply store in Waimea which would be closer. The fishing supply place in the harbor at Kona is mostly geared towards boat fishing. Surprisingly, KTA grocery store has a nice selection of fishing rods.

Most of your fishing will be around very rocky terrain so you can lose a lot of lures until you catch on about how to keep from "catching Hawaii". There is also surf to contend with so bobbers get pushed around all over the place. Crabs and eels will eat your bait and sometimes puffer fish which are a lot like pulling in a small tire. But, hey, it's called "fishing" and not "catching" isn't it?

Hmm, come to think of it, it's a nice day today, maybe I'll go annoy the papio myself! Thanks for the idea, MNangler!

A hui hou!