We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All set to go

Orange County
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All set to go

So I'm all set and ready to have a great week in Waikoloa. I've gotten quite a bit of information in these forums and hopefully I'll put it to good use when I get there. I'll have a full report when I get back. Thanks for all the help everyone

-Alan

P.S. If anyone wants a volcano rock souvenir just let me know and I'll grab one for you. J/K

Rochester,NY
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All set to go

Hope you're kidding about the rock souvenirs, Alan. Madam Pele (the volcano goddess, according to Hawaiian legend) will be very angry if you take a piece of her land away with you. Very bad luck- don't be tempted to take the lava rock! Many BI visitors have sent lava rock back to the Volcanoes Nat'l Park after bringing them home and having bad luck happen. Don't do it!

Orange County
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: All set to go

Of course I was kidding, I've heard way too many horror stories about that.

So I have finally gotten enough time to sit down and write out a review of my trip to Waikoloa. THIS IS LONG

First off, we stayed at the Outrigger Fairway Villas (Through Abbey Rentals), and I must say that the accommodations were quite nice. Well furnished, very modern appliances, and a view of the 9th hole, the lake, and the King’s Shops. We stayed in room O-21 I believe.

Saturday

This was our first day so we just relaxed and walked around the shops. We ate at Roy’s which was quite good.

Sunday

We decided to go see the Volcano this day and went to the park. But before going we stopped off at the most southern point of the US to take in the view. Once we got there we noticed kids dangerously jumping into this blow hole that the ocean had created, probably 30 feet down to the water. I, being the daredevil that I am, or as my mom calls recklessness, decided to try it and it was exhilarating.

We then headed off to the volcano. We decided that we wouldn’t do the hike all the way to the lava flow due to the diminishing light, and just walked around on the volcanic rock that had covered the roads. But we did see the red glow of the lava at night time which created a nice photo.

Monday

We headed down to the City of Refuge to snorkel, and it was very nice. Clear warm water and lots of sea life made it prefect snorkeling conditions. We saw all different types of fish and a few sea turtles.

After that I played a round of golf at the course next to our condos. It was a rather nice course, somewhat difficult, but quite expensive ($200+ with fees and rentals). Shot an 8 over, so not a bad round for me.

Tuesday

My sister’s wedding day at the Hilton. The Hilton hotel was a sight to behold compared to the other places around. It was very large and luxurious with multiple areas to take that perfect tropical picture. It was a fairly cloudy day but at the end of the ceremony at around 6pm the sun peaked under the clouds to get that perfect sunset over the sea for all the pictures.

Wednesday

We went horseback riding this day. It was fun, having not ridden before, but it got somewhat monotonous after the first hour, going at the same speed. And then it started to rain which really hampered the atmosphere. But overall it was good.

Thursday

We went on a submarine dive to look at the sea life. This wasn’t the most exciting of things but was nice. We saw schools of fish and even a shark here and there, but the submarine seemed overcrowded and someone got seasick so I was looking out for any projectiles coming at me.

Friday

We decided to go ride ATVs up in Waimea. This was a nice trip to see some waterfalls and a very nice view overlooking the ocean. The only problem was they didn’t let us do anything fun on the ATVs. In Cabo they let us free ride on the beach but they had none of that here. But it was still a nice ride.

Saturday

We were going to go to Kona to have a nice lunch before our flight, but apparently there was a bad car accident that caused a telephone pole to come down, blocking the road. So we were kinda of stuck where we were. But we did happen to come across a very nice little restaurant that was on the 190 next to the 76 station and a market. I forgot its name but it was probably the best authentic Hawaiian food I had during the trip. Very good chicken teriyaki and pork luau.

So overall it was a great trip. It did not rain nearly as much as the forecasts had shown. But as mentioned before, there is very little night life here. Kona does have some bars with some dancing but that’s the extent of it. At least I was able to catch up on some reading. Most trips that I go on I come back more tired than I did at the beginning, but Waikoloa was a very relaxing I enjoyed my stay there thoroughly.