We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

Hi

I am debating where to stay...at Kolea or The Point at Mauna Lani. I understand that the condos at Kolea are beautiful and close to a beach. But we do not have kids and arent that into a big crowded beach scene. Is that the case at Kolea??

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

Each unit is individually owned, so there is no general way to compare them. Both complexes are very high end, but Kole'a is much newer. Waikoloa Beach Resort and the Mauna Lani Resort are like apples and oranges.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

Most visitors to Waikoloa Beach Resort do not have kids with them. It is not crowded either. I would not classify it as "busy" either. The environment is quite laid back.

California
Level Contributor
6,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

I would say it's the other way around! The Hilton Waikoloa is Hawaii's number one family resort of all the islands and Mauna Lani tends to be the older golf crowd with more money. Both area's and properties are great.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

I would advise that you read up on the actual beaches you are considering and look at photos.

It is the nature of the island that each beach is distinct from the others. Not like coastlines where there are miles of beach that you get more or less the same thing if you move a quarter mile.

The beach at Kolea (Anaeho'omalu Bay) is far from the crowds at Waikiki or Ka'anapali, but it has more people on it than the Mauna Lani beach. Both will have children -- all the beaches will have children. A-bay certainly does attract children, due to the relatively quiet water and the number of condos in proximity.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

Clint is correct, the Mauna Lani draws an older crowd. I believe Koolina is the #1 family resort in Hawaii, but the Hilton Waikoloa has to be the #2! :):):)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

My wife and I just returned from a 9 day stay at Mauna Lani Point. We had a great time! We still prefer Kauai, but loved our stay on the BI and plan to return. Like TypTrop says, the resorts are different and hard to compare and at each property each unit is different, depending on the owner. Unless you get an upper floor Kolea unit (and maybe even then) the views at MLP are better, I think. MLP as a whole was fabulous! The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and the unit we stayed in was top notch. We rented from the owner thru VRBO. I doubt that 50% of the properties were occupied, and very few kids. We almost had the place to ourselves,

7. Re: The Point at Mauna Lani Condition of units versus Kolea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, November 25, 2012