We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A-bay

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oregon
11 posts
Save Topic
A-bay

Has A-bay beach been repaired yet?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A-bay

what do you mean repaired? Its totaly changed and is a new bay... they are not going to take it back to what it was.....that is not natural

What is to repair?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A-bay

I think they will eventually repair the fishpond walls, because the fishpond is a historic feature, but all the permits and studies have to be sorted out first.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A-bay

I was curious about that., too.......is it open to the public, is the water clean, is there any beach left ??......we are in the process of booking a condo that is within walking distance of A Bay for next winter and had hoped that we could still enjoy the beach there..........

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A-bay

Ocean Sports has pictures on their Facebook wall.

There is some talk of making a gate to keep the pond open to water flow, the way there is at Mauna Lani--WAikoloa pond might have been that way originally.

Edited: 8:37 pm, May 25, 2011
cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
510 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A-bay

mombear,

Waikoloa Beach Resort is a great place to stay in a condo...but just be prepared to drive to better beaches while staying there....A-Bay is OK, but there are more fabulous beaches within a short drive.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A-bay

I walked it and took a series of photos of the damaged areas about a month ago. I doubt it has changed.

travel.webshots.com/album/580136730aNUlqR

In order to get to the larger part of the beach from the condo side, you have to currently walk on the Marriott property (which is fine to do), around the back of the pond area.

The water is not as clean as I would like, but that has been the case for a while, and is more related to how many people use it now that they've built a gazillion condos that depend on A-bay. The water right in proximity to the new channel is not great at all, and that is an effect of the tsunami changes. No one is supposed to enter the channel anyway.

No question that the beach is far less functional.

The appeal of Waikoloa BR condos seems to me to be the price and the nice shopping areas, not the specific beach. I would not pay extra to walk to the beach there. There are much nicer beach areas. The sand at A-bay is coarse, and there are a lot of rocks along the entry.

ETA -- I hadn't seen cmd's comment when I started my post, or I would have said, I agree!

Edited: 8:50 pm, May 25, 2011
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A-bay

So if a-bay is not natural, does that mean when place of refuge is "damaged" by a tsunami that it won't be "repaired", because it is not "natural"? Get REAL HD!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A-bay

So see what happens and come back and tell us who was more accurate.

Southern California
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A-bay

I just got back from there late last week. A-bay is fine, though the fish pond wall is washed out in the middle, and the pond is open to the sea. Two palm trees are dead and laying akimbo in the center of the opening.

The bay itself (out beyond the ponds) is in great shape. Lots of reefs and sand, but I think some of the other bays nearby are better for snorkeling.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A-bay

Here's another comparison from June 2nd. Note the Ocean Sports facilities on the north end. http://www.hiddenkona.com/A-Bay_2011.html