We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island or Oahu

Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Big Island or Oahu

Need help making a decision on which island to stay. We have been to Oahu many times always staying at the Hilton. Thought we might like to try the Big Island for a change. We would be staying at the new Hilton Kings Land. We love Oahu because of all the things to do, places to eat and shopping. My problem is I am worried that we will be bored on the big island. Can anyone give me an idea of how the big island compares to Oahu? Will there be enough to keep us busy, mainly at night. During the day we love to just lay by the pool and relax. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Island or Oahu

The BI is my second favorite island behind Oahu, but it's very close. However, the BI is, in my opinion, all about getting out and exploring the island, and nights are a bit quieter. If you're interested in seeing another island maybe give Maui a try.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Island or Oahu

I can't give you any advise - but I can give my opinion that you absolutely cannot compare the two. They are as different as the sun and the moon. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but hopefully you get the drift.

I have been to the BI many times, mostly for work to Hilo and Kona, a few times for vacation to Waikoloa. The kids love the Hilton Waikoloa. I have found the people (especially in Hilo) to be the warmest friendliest people of the four islands I frequent. As far as stuff to do - too much driving is required to be my cup of tea for holiday. That said, I know so many people for whom Hawaii Island is their favorite - it just boils down to personal preferences.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,526 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Island or Oahu

If you want night life like Oahu, you will only find that on Oahu - Maui would be the next island to offer some . . . other islands are pretty quiet. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Island or Oahu

Big Island has lots to do during the day if you like hiking, snorkeling, driving. Not much at night in terms of nightlife, clubs, etc. Resorts have nice restaurants and shoreside bars but you'll be done by 9...

Probably Maui/Kaanapali area could suit. Lahaina is bustling at night and there are streets full of shops.,etc.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Island or Oahu

C'mon, Honu, sometimes I hang out until the musician stops at 9:30.

David

Edited: 4:27 pm, January 13, 2011
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Island or Oahu

You ought to visit one of the other islands. It could be Big Island, Maui or Kauai.

On the Island of Hawaii forum, on the left side of the page click on Travel Guide. Lots of articles from TripAdvisor members.

On the Island of Hawaii forum, on the right side of the page click on the Top Questions.

Do the same on the Maui forum, the Kauai forum& the Oahu forum.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & each of the islands.

1-800-GOHAWAII

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Island or Oahu

I'm one of those who loves the Big Island more than all the others, but I think you would be very unhappy there. First, you say you love Oahu's activities, shopping and many restaurants. There is little shopping on the BI, and although there are good restaurants, there are nowhere near as many as on Oahu, and they are spread out over a large area. You might not want to spend a lot of time driving from restaurants to your hotel at night. The hotels often have evening entertainment, but, again, there is nowhere near the variety you would find on Oahu. Things to do on the BI are all daytime activities: great snorkeling and diving and wonderful hiking. The only really unique night activities are stargazing tours on Mauna Kea and evening lava tours. Neither seems of interest to you. If you came to the BI, I'm afraid you would feel very confined at night.

Second, you say you love to just lie by the pool and relax. The BI is not really the best place for that. It seems a waste of all that natural beauty, but, more to the point, you can find more really great pools on Maui.

As so many posters here have suggested, why not look into Maui? It has many restaurants, nightlife, and good shopping. If you post on the Maui forum, the DEs will tell you all about the hotels with the best pools.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Island or Oahu

Hey we are from the east coast so we start to get sleepy at 9 the first week anyway! California folks like mumspimus are the nightowls :-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Island or Oahu

You won't like it from your description. It's flipped for what you like. People who come here are busy by day and barely have a pulse after sunset. :) Try Maui.

There's a food place in Hilo that has a big sign advertising they are open late on Fri and Sat. I checked, and they are open until 10 pm on weekends. 10 pm is worth putting up a sign ... that should tell you something about the east side.

Starbucks is packed on weekends in Hilo, because it's open til 11.

This last month I looked around for New Year's Eve parties in Kohala, and even the music club only listed music until 10 pm. On NYE!

10. Re: Big Island or Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 15, 2012