We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve

Halifax
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Year's Eve

My husband and I and our two teenaged girls (16 & 19) are thrilled to be travelling to Hawaii for Christmas. We will spend our first 9 days on Ohau and the last five on the Big Island, which means we will be there for New Years. We are staying at the Marriott Resort at Waikoloa and are wondering if anyone knows what New Year's celebrations might be happening in the area. Many thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve

I think the lack of replies indicates the general lack of New Year's parties. There is always one at the Hilton if you want to pay hundreds of dollars per person.

Music at the Blue Dragon ...

bluedragonhawaii.com/events/…lorenzos-army

Some kind of band at the Marriott ...

Big Island is more the make your own party kind of place, if you want a party for New Year's the thing to do would have been Waikiki.

Big Island residents tend to let off what seems like millions of firecrackers in all the local neighborhoods, like Hawi will be lost in smoke ... people have parties at home, cook lots of food, do fireworks ... they don't go out as much as is the tradition on the mainland.

The hotels seem to see visitors as captive dollars and charge way too much money for their events for what they give. That's my opinion ... if money is no object that's OK.

One thing you could do is simply go over to the Hilton and walk around at night ... free and quite atmospheric. I like it better at night than by day. You can also walk down to A-bay from the Marriott even though the beach is supposedly closed at 8. It is, for public access parking, but not from the hotel. People might be down there with fireworks, even though they aren't "supposed" to, but it's pretty lax there in my experience.

My advice is to stay in the resort and not drive the highways. The DUI problem here is considerable. You can almost count on being stopped at a DUI checkpoint if you go up to the Blue Dragon on NYE, favorite of the police here is to watch that place ... so be sure to have a designated driver.

As long as you can be excited without a big party, you should have a great time.

Whitehorse
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve

Stayed in Kona last year and there were fireworks on New Year's Eve (we were having dinner at Bubba Gumps). This year we've booked the Legends of the Pacific Luau at 5:30 at the Waikoloa Hilton for $99 pp (reserved online through the Hilton website). Our 2-year-old granddaughter loved the show at the King Kamehameha luau last year.

3. Re: New Year's Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2011