We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

connecticut
Level Contributor
107 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Aloha...thought I'd post an update for anyone planning to visit soon.

The Beach Grill (at the golf course) is closed.

O's Bistro (in Kona) closed.

Big Island Steakhouse (the restaurant in King's shops) also closed.

Merriman's Cafe, new chef according to the waitress. Menu somewhat changed. Had one lunch there, was excellent.

Macaroni Grill at Queens Marketplace scheduled to open Nov 24. Island Gourmet food market is open. Also open, Foodland at the Shops at Mauna Lani. Between the two I prefer Foodland.

Palm Terrace breakfast buffet now $35. Closed for dinner. Waffles and pancakes no longer on the ala carte menu. Continental Buffet no longer available.

Brown's Beach House appears to be closed for lunch. I haven't verified this by calling but the website doesn't show it open for lunch and it previously was.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

There is also Sansei Sushi in the Queen's Market and it was better than Roy's and Merriman's Cafe. Try their early bird special discount.

Bill

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

I stil like the fish and chips place in the King's shops but it was nice to see some new places.

new jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Sansei is good!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

The Gallery up at Mauna Lani was a Chinese restaurant (rented space) for dinner for a year or two. We loved it. Now it is closed. Do the people have a Chinese restaurant elsewhere that is still open??? Thir food was very good and fresh.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

According to my wife, who is Taiwanese, all the Chinese restaurants are terrible on the Big Island. (The only place she is willing to eat at is the Royal Jade Garden at the Lanihau Center in Kona.) It's kind of surprising since we have a fairly large Chinese population.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Just to add Cassandra's (Greek cuisine) in Kona is closed. Macaroni Grill is quite good and very popular, so is Sensei, in the Queens' Marketplace, and Charley's Thai. In Waimea, I have heard that Pau (where Aioli's used to be) is good, that Tante's is closing, but Waimea Ranch House is alive and well (byob), as is Daniel Thiebaut. In Kawaihae, Blue Dragon is a fabulous new addition - killer decor, great food, different live music every night. Also, the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is opening soon (December), and they've done a makeover on the Pavilion, with exhibition kitchen and wine bar. Chef George Gomes (used to be in The Garden) is new Executive Chef.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
961 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Dang! I loved the Big Island Steakhouse!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Our flight arrives late on a Saturday evening - around 9, I believe, so by the time we pick up the rental and work our way to the Marriott, it'll be quite late. Any ideas what might be open for a quite bite on the way from the Kona airport or at the King's shops?

Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Whoops, typo - should have read: "quick bite".

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikoloa....a few restaurant changes since last year

Vespe I think most places will be closed by the time you get your car and get going..