We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Were to buy groceries

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Were to buy groceries

My family and I have rented a condo at the Kolea Villas in the Waikola area for two weeks at the end of June. We are wondering where the best place and most resonably priced place to get groceries. I know there is a new store coming to the Waikoloa, when will that be completed?

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Were to buy groceries

There is a small grocery store in the Kings shops, within Waikoloa Beach Resort, very close to Kolea. It's Whalers' General store. While not a full size grocery store, it has the staples, milk, juice, bread, cereal, toiletries, sunscreen. I usually stop there on my way to my condo to pick up the basics. We usually arrive at Waikoloa Beach resort around 8 p.m. - too late to make a run to Costco or to the larger grocery store in Waikoloa Village. The grocery store in the Queens' Marketplace is still under construction.

california
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Were to buy groceries

There are 5 adults traveling with us. My husband is a big eater and we will be buying lots of wine, beer, meat, fruit, veggies, water, lunch meat, bread, breakfast stuff etc. We will be on the island for 2 weeks, staying at Halii Kai. Do you think its best to stock up at Coscto and Waikoloa village Market, I dont wont to stop at both places if I dont have to.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Were to buy groceries

I can never get through 2 weeks or even one without grocery shopping at least twice. LOL Costco is very close to the Kona airport. It's probably the best place for water and also for mac nut souvenirs. It's very good for the other items you mentioned. For 7 adults, I'd start there. If you are arriving early enough in the day and have room in the car(s), I would go there first before checking in.

If you need one or two supplemental items, Whalers would suffice. Otherwise, you might need to go to Foodland or Waikoloa Village market.

california
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Were to buy groceries

Just to clarify, not that it really matters, but there will be 5 adults total traveling.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Were to buy groceries

I am sure you will pass through Waimea sooner or later, make sure to stop at Kamuela Liquors, it's the best place to buy wine at on the island.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Were to buy groceries

We stay at the fairway villas which is right across the road from Kolea. We like going to the Waikoloa Village Market. Like the PPs said, its a full size supermarket with most of the brands you are used to at home. Its also fun to see and try their local brands and Hawaiian/Asian goodies. They do have a great meat section. We were able to get nice size rib eyes in a two pack for only $15!! They also have pre-marinated meats for the grill which were yummy. My only complaint would be for the so so produce dept. It that's important to you, go to the farmer's market which is a fun excursion in itself since you'll be in Kona, somewhere you'll sure to visit in any case.

I would only recommend Costco for bulk items like drinks, bread, water bottles for the beach...etc.

Have fun!

DJHS

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Were to buy groceries

The "Gourmet Market" in Waikoloa at the the Queens Marketplace is now open. They opened on Sept 1st.

My wife bought hamburger meat there. It was VERY good.

I didn't get a chance to go in, so I can't report what they have.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Were to buy groceries

That's great! Only a year or so behind what we hoped for! Yay!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Were to buy groceries

We just returned from a wonderful week in Waikoloa. We did go to Costco first, and bought our favorite foods and ate at home 4 nights and went out 3 nights. Their veggies are way cheaper when you're buying for 4 and we love many of their other food items (cheese, wine, salmon, soy milk, bagels, Kona coffee, eggs). The prices of the foods were the same as what we pay in California or South Carolina (where I now live). Every morning we had bagels or english muffins and most mornings had eggs. I vote for a stop at Costco - especially if you have more than 2 people in your group AND plan to eat at home several times. We went through nearly everything.

You will probably have to supplement for certain special items. Safeway north of Kona is a great option, and the new market at the Queens shop is nice but very pricey for fish and prepared foods. If someone would please have a macadamia nut danish for me I'd appreciate it as I'll live vicariously through your description of its enjoyment.

One more comment about Costco - their gas price was - I am NOT KIDDING - 25 cents less PER GALLON than the Tesoro basically across the street. That is one great reason to have a Costco card! We filled up twice in one week since we went to Hilo and the volcano one day, Parker Ranch one day, and Kona two days. Lots of driving - this island has its features spread out so plan on buying gas if you're going to see the sights.

Worth it though!

20. Re: Were to buy groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 25, 2009