We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hilton vs marriott?

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
hilton vs marriott?

I will be on the island of hawaii May 14 - May 18th. Will someone please tell me the best place to stay. I have never been to Hawaii before. Is the Hilton better than the Marriott? I noticed the Marriott is listed as number 1 on the reviews.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hilton vs marriott?

I'm personally partial to Kona Village Resort, but it depends on what you want to do. It's the best place to get the soft flavor of Hawai'i, and veg out--(and eat!)--take a look at their website, check out the property map, read the FAQs, and read the reviews on TA; see if it fits. It sure fits me--I've been there 22 times. However if you're going to do a lot of island sightseeing, it's not so good to use it as a base of operation because meals are included and you'll miss a lot of them.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hilton vs marriott?

Thanks. We will be attending a conference at the Hilton so I need something close by. I've read mixed reviews on the Marriott and Hilton. The prices are about the same. Do you know of anything else close to the Hilton?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hilton vs marriott?

I have stayed at both and it really depends on what you are looking for.

The Hilton is huge and expensive to eat at if you don't plan on leaving the grounds. It has no beach on the ocean but does have a man made beach on a man made (or at least man modified) lagoon.

The Marriott is right on the beach at A-bay and is no where near as big so it is easier to get around.

I guess it boils down to if you are planning on never leaving the resort, take the Hilton, if you are take the Marriott.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hilton vs marriott?

Which resort has the bigger better rooms? Marriott or Hilton?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hilton vs marriott?

Hilton has the biggest rooms you can get but the average rooms are about the same size.

The Hilton also nickle and dimes you to death, they charge for in room coffee (forgot to mention that) but the Marriott does charge a "resort fee" of 20 which includes some drinks, parking, free snorkle gear and tennis court time.

The views in y opnion are better at the Marriott, ostly because it is right on the water. We did have a decent view at the Hilton but there was a golf course right in front of us with the water on the other side of that.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hilton vs marriott?

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will go with the Marriott.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hilton vs marriott?

You are most welcome, we will be there again in October.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hilton vs marriott?

Your question of where is the best place has not been answered....Hilton and Marriot are way down the line

Here in order is my opinion of what the best hotels are in order

1. Four Seasons...class and poise;service to match

2. Kona Village Resort...best atmosphere and feel

3. Fairmont ..luxury and subtile

4. Hilton... a wonderland of pools and adventures

5. Mauni Lani...staid and very up scale

6. Sheraton Keauhou...tropical with great pools

7. Marrriott...on a beach...

8. Prince...near a beach and a golf resort

9. Royal Kona..former Hilton in Kona,downtown

10. Outrigger...best snorkel location

I have not listed King Kam or Seaside uncle Billies as I would never stay there wven if I was paid to.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hilton vs marriott?

Thanks, I need something close to the Hilton because the conference is there. Are any of the hotels you recommend close to the hilton?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hilton vs marriott?

1-5, are all within 15 miles 20 min drive