We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Beach Question

Boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Beach Question

I've read on here that the Hilton Waikiloa does not have a beach of it's own. Is this true? Don't get me wrong, I love swimming in a pool (and the Hilton supposedly has a great one) but in Hawai'i I want to be at the beach mostly.

How close is the beach at the Marriott from the Hilton? Will I be forced to use the pool at the Hilton instead? Is it heated at least?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Beach Question

There is no natural ocean beach at Hilton. They have shoreline but can't get in. They have pools including one with sandy edge. The "beach" is at A-Bay a longish walk or shuttle drive. But get in yourcar and go to a BETTER beach like Kua or Hapuna or somewhere else.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Beach Question

Aloha, Very few resorts on the BI are beach-front, A-Bay is close enough to the Hilton for a quick dip. As mentioned you will be so close to Hapuna and other beaches if you are staying at the Hilton. I agree with you, why use a pool when you have the ocean right at your feet!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Beach Question

If you want to stay on a beach you do not want to stay at the Hilton...it is not on a beach at all.

The pools are great and there are plenty of places to lay in chairs and see the ocean ... but absolutely no sandy beach.

Walking to the beach isn't really the best option ... but Mauna Kea or Hapuna are both a short drive.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Beach Question

Have you already made your reservations? Are you wanting to switch to stay near a beach? If so, there is a link to aerial views of hotels and their proximity to the ocean. I'll try to find it and post it here. Also, you can go to www.wizardpub.com and click on the Big Island. Then click on the hotel you are interested in and it will show you an aerial view.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,900 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Beach Question

The biggest and best pools on this island are at resorts with no swimming beach. Those with the beaches didn't need to invest in fantasy pools. So it's hard to get great pool and beach in one place.

Yes, you can walk or drive to the beach, but if you're paying the big bucks for a resort, to my mind a big feature is that you can walk back and forth from your room and also use the showers and changing rooms if you so wish.

Hapuna has public access but you do not want to shower and change there! The public restrooms are disgusting and a disgrace to the state of Hawai`i. They have removed the doors of the stalls to prevent drug use or something.

If you want lots of beach time without having to do a beach outing in your car, suggest you look at the Hapuna Prince.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,908 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Beach Question

Well, it should be pointed out that the Hilton does also have a large ocean-fed saltwater lagoon with a manmade beach with beach chairs, which is where I usually spend my time when I'm there. They do not heat their pools. But then, the ocean isn't that warm, either.

Given how few true beachfront hotels there are on the Big Island, and how much nicer the Hilton is than the, for instance, Hapuna Prince, I think you're overall better off at the Hilton. However, another option is either the Mauna Lani or the Orchid, both of which have nice swimming beaches and are very nice hotels, a step above the Hilton.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
282 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Beach Question

You can get into the ocean along the shore at the Hilton provided you are not affraid of the ocean and you have scuba diver booties to protect your feet and it is a fairly calm day. I have done it and the snorkeling is actually quite good off the side of the property where the Giant Budha is. If you dream of sitting next to the ocean on a lounge chair there are plenty of beautiful spots to choose from at the Hilton. We used the beach at the Marriott (when we wanted a beach day) and no one from the Marriott checked to see if we were guests.

We were on the Big Island 2 weeks ago and the Hilton Pool was very cold, but if the sun is out and it is 75 to 80 degrees outside its not a big deal.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Beach Question

"Well, it should be pointed out that the Hilton does also have a large ocean-fed saltwater lagoon"

If you use the lagoon make sure it is either very early in the day or right after the tide comes in. When we were there the water tended to get a bit murky and there was a sort of oil slick from all the folks getting in with suntan lotion/oil on.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Beach Question

Page 284 of the BIG ISLAND REVEALED tells about the resort and has a small sky-view picture. You can also view the pictures on their website.

10. Re: Hilton Beach Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 18, 2009