We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island for family of 5

Hockessin, DE
Level Contributor
84 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Big Island for family of 5

we are planning on staying on the big island for 3 nites in August, 08. My kids are 18, 13 and 8. Our goal is a first class resort that the kids can play in the pool and swim and snorkle in the ocean. I do not want to get two rooms if I don't have to. I have looked at the Fairmont Orchid and the Hilton Waikoloa. We want to spoil them but without spending $1000 a night. We are planning to stay on Maui before this for one week in a condo. Thanks

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Big Island for family of 5

with only 2 full days...your not going to be able to see much. Maybe an air tour and thats it...

This island is 6 times the sixe of Maui....Just to drive to the Volcano will take 6-7 hours rt....and thats just the driving without stops.

Kona is a 1 hour drive south...

I agree Kolea will be your best choice

No hotel here is going to risk huge fines and potential loss of licence by violating health and safety/fire codes.. 4 to a room...no exception.

No manager is going to risk getting fired to do this.

Why dont you go to the Hilton ? you could proable get 2 rooms for around 300 @ but has no beach. and Kolea will be about 600 a night for a 3 bed in august

Kona Village will for 5 persons run will over $1000 a night but includes meals.....

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
119 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Big Island for family of 5

Another alternative to Kolea is Halii Kai. No sand beach, but a nice-looking pool and oceanfront. We're going to be staying there in June for 5 nights.

I looked hard at Kolea, but in the end the fact that I could get unobstructed units on the ocean at Halii Kai tipped the scales for us. That wasn't available at Kolea, where all the condo units seem to be behind a line of homes. The "right on the ocean" aspect was important to us.

Good luck,

Chris

13. Re: Big Island for family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 12, 2009