We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Of BI, In March

Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Of BI, In March

I will be spending a week on the BI in March with my two teenagers. I am a single, dad and like to pre-plan to take advantage of our time. We are staying in the Waikoloa resort area (next to A-Bay) but have a rental car for exploring. We will do the VNP area for 2 days also. I would appreciate any recommendations to the following questions...

1) What is the best luau in the area?

2) Where is the best snorkling place ( I read captain Cook, K bay but take the hiking trail to K bay instead of hiring a boat & crew?

3) What is best authentic, island dinner (Merrimans)?

4) Can you learn to surf at Hapuna Beach?

5) Are local petroglyphs (near golf course at Waikoloa I think) hard to find?

6) Best local drink?

7) Best and closest tropical rain forest to drive and hike to ?

Aloha.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,071 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Of BI, In March

2) Where is the best snorkling place ( I read captain Cook, K bay but take the hiking trail to K bay instead of hiring a boat & crew?

We used to do this but I think the trail may have been closed after the earthquake. You are better off taking a boat trip to this spot--like Sea Paradise out of Keauhou, a nice sailing catamaran. BUT the place has become overrun with people and is not the "pristine" spot you read about.

If you and the teens are experienced snorkelers and the water conditions are calm, Two Step at the place of refuge is just as good if you are comfortable in deep water. A plus is you can pay, park in the lot, and then see the park that day or within a week.

There are very good places on a par with these (conditions permitting) near where you are staying. PM me and I will give you more info is you wish.

3) What is best authentic, island dinner (Merrimans)?

Anyplace you can eat and see the water. Merrimans is not that place. Get great street cred for being famong first to use local purveyors but in my opinion is not that great to miss sunset dining.

4) Can you learn to surf at Hapuna Beach?

Instructors are at Kahaluu down in Kona.

5) Are local petroglyphs (near golf course at Waikoloa I think) hard to find?

No, follow the signs at the Kings Shops intersection. But there are more great ones at the Puako fields at Mauna Lani. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29217-c56173/Island-…

7) Best and closest tropical rain forest to drive and hike to ?

Pololu is not a "tropica rain forestt" but you should go there. For "rain forest" you need altitude....VNP. However, Hamakua Coast is lovely to drive and see waterfalls and botanic gardens and Kalopa State Park has hiking IF you are VERY CAREFUL not to get lost--trails not well marked.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,071 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kings' Shops
Kings' Shops
202 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Of BI, In March

1. The best luau is at the Kona Village Resort, about 20 minutes South from where you will be staying.

2. Kahaluu Beach is the most frequented.

3. There are lots of good restaurants on the island but if you are looking for an "authentic" restaurant you will need to go to "whole-in-the-wall" places since none of the well known restaurants are authentic. Check http://konaforum.com for restaurant reviews.

4. The recommendation is Kahaluu Beach for that too. There is a surf school at the top of Lunapule Road in Kailua-Kona, you might want to check them out.

5. They are North of the Orchid Mauna Lani, easy to find.

6. Mai Tai. All places serve different versions, the only place serving the real Mai Tai is the Don's Mai Tai bar at the Royal Kona Resort. (They have a full menu of Mai Tai drinks, make sure to ask for the one that does not have any juice except lime in it.)

7. Upper Puna is the home of the raiforest.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kahaluu Beach
Kahaluu Beach
286 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Don's Mai Tai Bar
Don's Mai Tai Bar
156 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
3,137 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
seattle
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Of BI, In March

Aloha,

Snorkeling- I have only been diving with Sea Quest and chose them because I wanted to be on the water and in a small group. Have gone with them 3 times and the last one was with teen age grandkids and were fortunate enough to have dolphins swim within camera range while we were in the water. Best trip has been the am as you get to dive in two area and still see lots of the coast.

From where you are staying it is an easy walk through the petroglyphs in a circle from the north to south.

Most of the people we have had with us have thoroughly enjoyed Akaka Falls as you can walk an easy trail in the forest.

4. Re: Best Of BI, In March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 15, 2009