We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

Plan to travel to Hawaii for our 10th anniv. in June, with our 5year old. We are basically beach resort type of people and I think this will be an awesome place with the little one.

Are there any microwaves available on the property that we could use? I see they have refridgerators in the rooms right?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

You are probably right that it will be great for you ...

I can't answer about the frig's for sure, I think they're by request, someone who has stayed there can answer you and also read the reviews and search Hilton in this forum for past topics.

I don't think of the Hilton as a beach resort. Hapuna, Mauna Lani, Fairmont, Marriott, are beach resorts with close access to the beach. Hilton is a pool and lagoon Disneyesque and rather grandiose resort with a lot of walking or shuttling to get around. To me, the distances would be a drawback compared to the simplicity of the other hotels.

The Hilton has lots of fans, just be sure you know what you are getting and that you are comfortable with crowds. Not crowds when one considers Chicago, but it is the most crowded resort on the Kohala coast. And the restaurants are rarely mentioned as being among the best in the area, although the prices are equivalent.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

There's a topic comparing Hilton with the Marriott if you go back to late October in this forum. TA won't let me link it due to the long url.

Here's what cachica had to say about the frig and fixing food. No mention of a microwave. You might try PM ing her.

"A couple of tips if you choose the Hilton:

Buy a large styrofoam-type ice chest. Get things like milk, cereal, fruit, bread, PBJ, and beverages at the grocery store. There is a small fridge in the room and you can supplement with the ice chest. Also, buy snack foods and disposable bowls/silverware. We never ate breakfast out and many of our lunches were also fixed this way."

as a side note commenting on the last post of the earlier topic:

most friends of dolphins on the Big Island forum feel that the captive dolphin program at the Hilton is cruel to the dolphins and do not support or recommend it, and at least one poster has reported that her child was saddened at seeing the dolphins cooped up.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

Hi bearsbigfan,

We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village with a 2 and 4 year old last September and loved it. We're generally not resort-type people, but the kids had a fabulous time. They were particularly impressed with the sandy-bottom shallow pool and water slides. Oddly enough, we loved the loooong walks around the property. There were two refrigerators in our rooms. There wasn't a microwave in the room. You might want to call and see where you can use a microwave.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

so glad you had the inside scoop LAcentric

The looong walks are great. I have gone to the Hilton just to walk.

If one wants to get in and out of the resort, it takes longer with the Hilton, that is all.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

No mcrowaves.........just a fridge.

To get a microwave..you need a condo no hotel here has Microwave in units.

By the way they closed the Food court in the Kings shops and a small version is slated to open in late Dec-Jan.

It will be in the newer queens shops about 3/4 mile form the Hilton

other than that location there is no fast food witin 25 miles. ( kona and Waimea

Other than that it will be a outstanding place....for kids and adults.

There is no better resort in Hawaii to bring your family to.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

Fridges as well as everything else there is a charge unless someone left it in room. Now charge for non valet parking but after walking the grounds the short jaunt to self parking is a breeze just watch out for the the stray cats at night. Nice intro area to Hawaii but don't just stick to that resort get out. North, Haupana beach, beach in front of Marriot are nice and close. five yr old bring stroller or rolling luggage carrier for daily goodies and food. Fridges small but ice machines free, we used folding ice chests and kept milk for breakfast and some sandwich stuff and snacks as we did travel alot off premises. we walked faster than boats or tram schedules from furthest pts. Do not reserve room in the eastern most 0 of the 000 towers as furthest one in contains restaurant and birds are extremly noisy in early morning. Alot of delis around for sandwiches as well as one in Costco north side of Kona but watch traffic going south into or out of kona during rush hours. Souveigners try Kmart.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

Hi again,

Your post didn't ask for more than advice on microwaves and refrigerators, but I'll throw in another two cents in the hopes that it might be helpful.

We stayed in the Ocean Towers on the first floor right across from the boat landing and *loved* our room. The kids could run out in the morning onto a grassy knoll and could watch mongooses (mongeese?) play right outside the sliding glass doors. It's a hike to the main lobby, but surprisingly pleasant. We brought a stroller with us and enjoyed the Asian/Oceanic art along the way (quite lovely and tasteful).

Like other posters have said, the restaurant situation is pretty abysmal. We had the breakfast buffet at the Palm Terrace restaurant in the Ocean Towers. It was ample and delicious, but incredibly expensive (although kids eat free with paid adult buffet) and there are flocks of tiny birds that will land on your food if you leave it for even a minute. That part was pretty gross. The other places were also overpriced, but with mediocre food. We enjoyed walking to the Kings Shops though (there's also a free shuttle) and liked Merriman's. The hostess provided the kids with Etch-A-Sketches and we ate al fresco so the kids could watch the feral cats. We also drove around the island and ate at different restaurants during our stay, so didn't feel like Hilton prisoners.

The lagoon is lovely and very clear in the morning if you like snorkeling. My 4-year-old tried snorkeling there and was ready to use her gear when we went on a snorkeling cruise later. The fish and turtles have access to the open ocean, so although it's man-made, it's not a prison for wildlife. As KamaainaK notes, however, the same is not true for the Dolphin Quest pen. It is incredibly tiny and shallow for animals that are used to swimming long distances and while we were there there was a lot of construction nearby, which must have driven these sensitive creatures crazy. My older daughter didn't like the pen at all and cried if we walked near it out of sympathy. She felt helpless and sad for the dolphins.

The dolphin "aquatic cage" and exorbitant food prices were downers, but overall we had a wonderful time at the Hilton and hope you and your family do too.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

I think the Hilton is a great place with kids, but yeah, the captive dolphins are a real bummer and the food situation is weird. The high-end places are very good food, in fact, some of the best food on the island (Donatoni's for Italian, Kamuela Provision Company for steak, et. al, a good Japanese place), but the mroe economic options are dismal. If you're not on a budget, it's great, but if you are, you're almost forced to eat off the property every day.

The property is on goregous lava oceanfront, with nice views and lovely grounds. There are two pools, one very large with a water slide and waterfalls and hottubs around, as well as a nice sandy-bottom kids area. There is a very large ocean-fed saltwater lagoon with a waterfall and fairly long manmade strip of beach (not facing the ocean, however), that is a nice alternative to the pools. You can rent kayaks or snorkel around in it, it's pretty fun. It is a huge property, although I do not see it as "disneylandesque" in the least.

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

The problem is my son hs food allergies so ideally would like someplace with a kitchen...

but fell in love with the hilton... I guess I will call them and see if microwaves are available somewhere for use (hoping wiht fingers crossed)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Waikola Village with a 5 year old in June 08

I wish you luck with the microwave, but none of the hotels want guests to be fixing food in their rooms.

With a food allergy issue, a nice condo seems the way to go.

The Hilton Grand Vacations Club is the only one that includes full pool privileges at the Hilton resort. I don't know much about them other than that. They are probably reviewed here at TA.