We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inter-island flights Hawaii

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Inter-island flights Hawaii

We are travelling to Hawaii at the beginning of December. Is it necessary to book the inter-island flights ahead of time? If so how far in advance should they be booked. We are flying in to Honolulu and then we are going on to the Big Island.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

I do because I want certainty about the flight timing. I bought mine for January in September since nonstops from Maui to KOA are limited. Honolulu to KOA or Hilo may be mmore frequent.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

I would definitely book in advance. Which ever airline you choose, keep an eye on the airline and the booking.

Flights to the Big Island don't go as often because they split their flights between Kona and Hilo. Could be 2 hours+ between flights from HNL to Kona and HNL to Hilo.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

whatever flight you choose...........get one that arrives before 1:30 or after 6pm.

Otherwise you will be facing traffic that will take you 1.5 hours to drive to Kona......I just did this today a 3:30 pm out of HNL arrived in Koina at 4:10..... I got to kona at 5:20.!!!!... and I did not have to pick up baggage or rent a car..... ( add 45 min)

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

We booked in advance traveling from Honolulu to Maui also, the prices were great (roughly 39.00 each way/pp) and knowing we have that part sorted allows more fun time. I agree with scheduling your travel time not to coincide with rush hour - arriving anywhere in the middle of rush hour is not so much fun. Happy planning.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

the inter-island flight fare range goes from low ($39) to as much as $169 one way. These are all for the same class (coach), so as the seats sell the price tiers apply.

Go online to the individual airline sites and you will see the range of fares for any given day and time that are remaining. As a sort of comparison, plug in the dates a week from now and see what the last minute fares and availability look like.

December is busier, so it will be worse then. Not only due to tourism. Once the Christmas shopping season starts after Thanksgiving, lots of neighbor island people go to Oahu to shop, which increases demand.

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

Thank you all for your help and advice!

7. Re: Inter-island flights Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 11, 2009