We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

We have friends who will be staying at the Waikoloa Hilton. We would like to stay nearby in a unit with 1 or 2 bedrooms and understand that the Kolea condos are within walking distance of the Hilton. Is that true? Also, any other recommendations on condo/villa/apt accomodations within walking distance or short drive of the Hilton? Thanks!

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

We are going to the HGVC Waikoloa Resort in November. I know it is a long way off, but I'll write a review when we get back. I, too, have been looking for reviews without much success.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Yeah, zoomgirl. As I've been looking I came across the prices for the luxury condo mentioned they are very nice but are 3 bedroom 3 bath and are in the $500.00 range . The same as Hilton. I think an owner can get a better rate but I'm not sure maybe $400? Good Luck!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

True the time share of today are nothing like they were......... they are so totaly worse.... They sell owners the concept that these are 500 a night condos to get them to spend totaly idiotic ammounts ... the fact that condos the wqual of better of the Hilton " condo" are renting for 200 to 280 a night.......... and are every beit as nice or nicer.

If you took the money you spent on any time share....put it into a bank. added the maint and owners costs for the unit.... you would be able to get a lux penthouse every year for the same time, and never have to spend the orininal investment..... you'd be on interest and savings only.......... The over charge is so huge and profits so large... that they pay the guy who gets you to go to the " time share" meeting up to $200... even if you dont buy......... and if you do he gets 1-2% of the ammount they rip you off for.

Consider that what you think is a 40K value.... can be bought.. as a resale for about 8-9K.!!!...... thats how good an investment they are...... flushing the equal amount down the toilet is a far wiser and more responsible act in comparison.............

You are paying 400% over the going rate. for a property that is over valued by 200 %. by the developer. to make you think this is a hot deal................ Its paying rolex prices for a timex because someone priced the timex as a $4000 watch...........and people belive this con........its the biggest con of the 21st century.... talk to any accountant or financial planner. first

The folks who sell time shares here are considered the low lifes of society..... Imean used car salesmen and child molestors are given more respect.

Buying a time share is like borrowing money for your ex-wife to have a nice vacation and plastic surg. ......

when is it a good deal..........when hell freezes over...... and pigs fly

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Dan is certainly right from an investment point of view. Anyone buying time share as an investment should call me, I have a better deal on some ocean front properties in Arizona! :) Time share is not an investment, it's a lifestyle.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

I will be staying at HGVC beginning on July 11th for a few days, then off the Maui. I will post a review of this property upon my return. Since I am not an owner, I booked this property right through Hilton's website many months ago. I am paying $499 for a 2 bedroom/2bath unit.

Deerfield, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

A very short drive from the Hilton is Paniolo Greens, which is managed by Shell Hospitality.

We just stayed there, and it was very nice. We rented a spotlessly clean 2-floor, two-bedroom condo in the "J" building for $151 per night. I will post a Trip Advisor review shortly. We felt the resort was underrated...and my wife is fairly fussy about cleanliness and amenities.

This is a great vacation area...just take care to get away from the resorts and use the great public beaches!

To quote a Waikoloa website:

More beautiful beaches extend north, and include Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area, which constantly ties for first place with neighboring Kaunaoa Beach at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel as the “best beach in the world.” There is ample parking, a snack stand and crystal clear waters that no one can resist. These two well-known beaches are magnificent, but a real hidden pleasure is Waialea Beach in Puako, known by locals as “69.” At one time, 69 was marked by a phone pole bearing the number 69, but today the pole is 71. To find it, turn into Puako and take a right after the transfer station. You’ll see Waialea Beach on the left, with its brand new parking lot, restrooms and showers.

Have a great trip!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Just a heads up about Paniolo Greens, while very nice, it's not near the Hilton at all. Paniolo Greens is up in the Waikoloa Village area, about 10 miles away.

I would google Halii Kai resort, this brand new condo development is right next to the Hilton, and is still under the radar - hence not crowded.

Aloha!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

>>a real hidden pleasure is Waialea Beach in Puako

it never ceases to amaze me that a location can be on all sorts of tourism websites and considered "hidden."

Waialea Beach is special in that because it formerly had no facilities and the ingress would beat up rental car tires (now paved access and bathrooms), it was for a long time a place that locals were able to have a beach not over-run by tourism.

so please everyone, if you go there go with the idea of fitting in to the mood of the beach -- which is to preserve just ONE non-touristy, more low key and local lifestyle beach in South Kohala. Visitors have always gone there (I went there in '97 as a visitor), but to have a laid back experience as opposed to the scene at Hapuna.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

I would not buy a timeshare in the most expensive part of the country. Instead purchase in another more affordable location where the maintainance fees and taxes are low and that you can get to easily. Then just use your time in Hawaii or other luxury places all over the world. As long as your with a big chain and plan carefully.

20. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 05, 2009