We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

We have friends who will be staying at the Waikoloa Hilton. We would like to stay nearby in a unit with 1 or 2 bedrooms and understand that the Kolea condos are within walking distance of the Hilton. Is that true? Also, any other recommendations on condo/villa/apt accomodations within walking distance or short drive of the Hilton? Thanks!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

How about the HGVC Waikoloa? Each unit is 2 bedroom, fully equipped. You can book directly through Hilton's website (pricey--$499 per night).

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

shores and vistas are even closer.... the hilton condos are a MILE distant

There is no free parking at the hilton.... starts at 10 per day even for guests

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

HGCV sounds a bit too pricey. Which are nicer - the shores or vistas and are they reasonable walking distance to the Hilton? I'm assuming the condos referred to as a mile distant are the Kolea ones...correct? Sorry to be so dense..we haven't visited the Big Island in years and don't know it very well. Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,615 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

hi zoomgirl,

while I don't know which condos are where over there, I can clear up that HGVC are the same as the "hilton" condos Dan mentioned -- Hilton Grand Vacations.

Kolea is a completely separate luxury development, some of which is oceanfront and some not, which are individually owned and will vary as to desirability. I have yet to hear anyone complain that they didn't enjoy Kolea.

Kolea is between the Marriott and the Hilton.

No matter what you pick it will be some trouble to meet up with your friends on the Hilton property, as it takes 5-10 minutes just to walk in from the Hilton's own parking lot, which is downhill from the hotel, and from there it is a vast property.

So if you plan to do something at the Hilton with friends, that is one thing. If you are just meeting, easier if they come to you or meet you at the Kings' Shops which are conveniently central and served by shuttle from the Hilton.

From what I understand, the HGVC stay gives access to the Hilton pools, whereas the Bay Club which is associated somehow does not. You would want to confirm this. There are no condos except HGVC that give you any shot at using the pools, so if that is important to you consider that factor. Visiting friends of guests don't get wristbands. Pool pass costs $80 a day and is for up to 4, but if the hotel is near occupancy at all they won't see you one.

Now if you don't care about the pools at the Hilton (which are best if you have kids) it is all much simpler, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Hilton is definately a good walk down the road from Kolea, but the Kolea devolopment/condos are very nice. Like Dan said there is no free parking at the Hilton unless you park in the small beach access parking lot nearby which is still a little walk from the hotel itself. I would worry more about where you stay because the Hilton is a decent walk from most of those developments.

hawaii
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Aloha zoomgirl,

As others have stated Kolea is the nicest conod complex within walking distance of the Hilton. 5 Star condos, great lanais with gas grills, many with ocean views. You want to be aware of what building you are in at Kolea to insure a view. You may also want to consider the new Halii Kai complex. They have condos that are direct oceanfront, and the complex is next to the Hilton.

Dan

Mentioned in this post
Halii Kai
Halii Kai
43 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
hawaii
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Aloha zoomgirl,

As others have stated Kolea is the nicest conod complex within walking distance of the Hilton. 5 Star condos, great lanais with gas grills, many with ocean views. You want to be aware of what building you are in at Kolea to insure a view. You may also want to consider the new Halii Kai complex. They have condos that are direct oceanfront, and the complex is next to the Hilton.

Dan

Mentioned in this post
Halii Kai
Halii Kai
43 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Shores runs about $180 to 230 a night and is a 1/4 mile form the hilton....

Vistas is about $200 to 250 a night..... and 1/4 mle walk to the hilton

Kolea is about 1/3 of a mile.... and is 500 to 600 a night

All 3 are gaited free parking and no construction

Hilton has reall guts to charge $500 a night....as much as Kolea ( which is ocean front and the finest condo on the Kohala coast.... better than four seasons... they are 1.5 to 3.5 million dollar new condos...... get real Hlton

Kolea is not a time share. all units are furnished by owners " not on a budget".... I think the word opulent applies.....

Hiltons condos are the furthurest form beach, Kings shops and Hilton hotel proper than any other condo

Level Contributor
404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

I would also check out Hali'i Kai which is a new cond development next to the HWV. You can check out on VRBO.com , south kohala rentals and kona rentals (abbey rentals). The development is ocean front not beach front but it has a beautiful pool and it has a pool side restaurant. Just another option.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo/villa recommendation next to Waikoloa Hilton?

Hi, I just started to work on next summers vacation plans and am doing my research on the area. and I came across this thread. We are HGVC owners in Vegas and I'm considering using my time at HGVC @ Waikoloa. There are no reviews yet on TA for this "timeshare" resort. Just for the main hotel.and i've seen it mentioned by a guest there.

But from all my information from Hilton the place seems to be very, very, beautiful. Completely new and modern. I don't think $ 500 per night is outrageous for renting this kind of property or for the location. I don't know about other luxury condo's here but I'm sure if they're 1-3million properties they gotta be more than $ 500 per night to stay. I know that our home property HGVC in Vegas goes for 300-400 (owners rate) for a 2 bedroom during the busy seasons/weekends . So, $ 500 does not sound out of the question for Hawaii.

Also, the timeshares of today are not what they used to be, everyone now expects a certain level of quality and today's timeshares are affiliated with higher end hotel chains. I'm just glad I'm not paying those kind of prices out of pocket as my timeshare is bought and paid for so I now feel like I'm staying for free!

i just gotta pay for air,car rental,spending $....... :0

Mentioned in this post