We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

Hello, we are a family travelling in October and would love some advise about accommodation and best waterfalls/ activities to do while there. We are staying 7 nights and were thinking 1 night (2 days near the volcanos) and then Waikoloa (unless better recommendation) for the rest. Some guidance please on the best accommodation with good pools and close to a good swimming beach. I have 2 teenages (14 and 17) one who love pool swimming and the other wants the beach. I have had a look at several places but not knowing the area it is hard to know what is best. Please help with as much info as possible. I would really like to know walking distances from places to the beach. And if you know of an amazing condo please let me know. Also on the Volacano side accommodation please and not to miss activities. Thank you so much for your help as I am feeling a bit over whelmed by all the choices :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

Waikoloa Beach, or Mauna Lani for condos on the west side. Let us know your accommodation budget and we can better suggest specific properties. Walking distance to beaches mean only a few options - Kolea, Vista Waikoloa, Shores, Mauna Lani Point, Mauna Lani Terrace, Palm Villas basically.

What are your dates in October? Hopefully you're missing the Ironman madness from about 10/10 -10/17.

In Volcano look at vrbo or Kilauea Lodge.

Do check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the main Island of Hawaii forum.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

Hi SheaG, I have been reading many of your posts about the area. They are really informative:) and I must say your descriptions of the Hilton and the captive dolphins put me off going there. We just miss the iron man as fly back to Honolulu on the 8th October. We arrive on the big Island on the 2nd and I thought we would drive straight over to the VNP and stay the night here. Thinking that would give us 1/2 day to explore on the 2nd and then most of the 3rd before heading back to Waikoloa? What do you think? Budget wise somewhere in the 200 - 250 mark would be best as once converted back to NZ $ it gets quite expensive:) But would pay more if it was a much better option. I read that you thought Anaehoomalu Bay was not as nice since 2011 is this still the case? Which beach iyo is the nicest for blue waters, white sand and swimming? Thank you

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

Well, Hawaii isn't the Caribbean, we don't have white sand or turquoise water here like you might imagine. Anaehoomalu has never been a great beach, and the erosion in 2011 as a result of the tsunami compounded that. It can be windy and there are lots of rocks. Makaiwa at the Mauna Lani is smallish but a very lovely little beach with good snorkeling and swimming and nice sand, and it's right next to the fish ponds full of eels and big fish, which kids love.

I would look at the Palm Villas in that price range. It's a bit of a walk to Makaiwa, about 15 minutes, or you can just drive a couple of minutes right to it if you don't want to schlep stuff. It has a decent pool too.

I would stay two nights on arrival in Volcano. You'll want at least one full day in VNP, and when you drive back to the west side you'll want to leave early so you can drive back on the Hamakua coast and there's lots to stop and see along the way. So on the 2nd, drive straight to Volcano via the Saddle. This will take you about 2 1/2 to three hours depending on time of day and if you stop for food, etc. Then on the 3rd, full day in VNP. On the fourth, leave in the morning, go back via Hilo and the Hamakua coast, Akaka falls, Waipio overlook, Honokaa, Waimea.

Re "Waikoloa", Waikoloa Beach is just one resort area on the Kohala Coast, the whole area is not called Waikoloa (there is also Waikoloa Village, which is a smallish mostly reside tail community with no hotels or resorts a few miles up the mountain). I actually think you'd be happier at the Mauna Lani over Waikoloa Beach for its better beach/swimming options.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

What times do you fly in & out? And do you have six nights or seven? You originally said seven nights, but arriving October 2, departing October 8 = six nights. Also, can you fly in one side of the island and out the other?

~ Colleen

5. Re: Accommodation and activities on the big Island - HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 18, 2018