We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night time activities

MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
night time activities

Hello,

Staying 2 nights in volcano, what are some of the activities I can do after sunset. Is the crater rim drive worth it as far as views of the caldera?

2nd night we will be doing kalapana lava hike.

Any other suggestions?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night time activities

There are occasional special events (see the Konaweb calendar and check the Volcano Art Center and VNP websites).

The crater glow at Jaggar is absolutely worth it, but the rest of crater rim would not have views, except for at Volcano House.

Other than that, eating and drinking ... communing with nature. Reading, TV, hot tub at the rental, staring at a fire, playing games, etc.. Volcano is as dead as a place can be at night, other than the special programs that may not work for your dates.

MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night time activities

sounds good!! thank you for the quick reply, I guess I will plan it this way then, drive to jaggar and volcano house. get back to relax at the rental...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night time activities

Be sure to check the calendars though. Some very cool things happen up there from time to time. Hula at the crater under the full moon, ranger talks, vulcanology talks, performances...

The crater view is better later when the day trippers have left. Go back after dinner; the VNP is open all night.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night time activities

I would just add that there are also views from the kilauea iki overlook and the adjoining trails going either way.

The view last night was absolutely beautiful, with the plume rising high, as a single column, and disappearing into a cloud above, illuminating the entire bottom side with a brilliant red.

Also, Nahuku lava tube (aka Thurston) is a great place to go in the evenings. It is a sort of erie walk on a paved trail through the rain forest, where as you approach you start to see the light of the cave (there are lights in it).

I like to go at night to add for affect and avoid crowds. During the day, expect up to six buses, and a full parking lot with probably over 350 people at a time. At night you'd be lucky to find a single soul roaming the trail.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night time activities

You can also go toward the end of chain of craters road to look for the glow of the ocean entries from a distance. Binoculars or a telescope help.

Find a moon-bow (like a rainbow, but from the moon) over the mauna ulu lava flow field, on a night with a full moon. This is an area where there is commonly a boundary between clear skies and clouds.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night time activities

One of my favorite activities: "After Dark in the Park"

nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/events_adip.htm

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: night time activities

Yes, the After Dark in the Park was what I was thinking of when suggesting to look at VNP website. Thanks for getting the right link, LG. :) I was kind of in a rush.

MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: night time activities

thanks all for your fabulous replies!!! I'm bursting with excitement :)

9. Re: night time activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 18, 2014