We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Lava viewing

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
121 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Current Lava viewing

I haven't seen any updates in this forum as to current lava viewing locations. I'm going to the BI the week of Thanksgiving and I'm trying to figure out what part of the park would give me the greatest odds of catching lava flows. I understand it can change daily but was hoping one part of the park has had more activity recently than another. Any places to stay near a viewing area would be much appreciated as well. Thanks.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,139 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Lava viewing

There is no lava flow access right now.

KK is discussing this more at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60583-i630-k49259…

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Lava viewing

Yeah, there aren't any updates because nothing is happening other than the glow at the summit.

I will bump Lavaguyd's topic. That is the one that has all the links, and I prefer to keep it all in that topic (but what I prefer doesn't necesarily happen ;-) ).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Lava viewing

Actually, the park hasn't had flows to speak of since June, 2007!

There was an outbreak from Pu'u O'o not too long ago that did head into the park, but it was so brief. Lasted only a few days and then it was over.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Lava viewing

Dating back to the 80's, we've seen some incredible sights, but it's true that recent years, with a few spectacular exceptions, would fit the description of diminishing returns.

However, for those blessed with a great deal of luck...well, see for yourself:

August, 2011-

bigislandvideonews.com/2011/…

Same activity, different video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDjTtuZ2pc

March, 2011 (get ready to say WOW!)-

www.youtube.com/watch…

April-May, 2010 (Professionally produced)-

www.youtube.com/watch…

Can't vouch for ocean lava entry boat tours with "been there/done that" knowledge, but have to admit watching this 2009 video is pretty exciting & a safe alternative-

www.youtube.com/watch…

And, if you're interested in hiking (DIY definitely not advised...take my word for it; get a QUALIFIED guide)-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE0tw5ZViHI&NR=1

As a somewhat safer alternative to the preceding, and a the ride's a hoot whether you see lava or not, might want to consider a Doors-OFF Helicopter tour-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBs4nxEc-Q

Also, one more recent thread will worthwhile info & links-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60583-i630-k49237…

Oops, need to run. Hope not too many typos; Good Luck OC!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
121 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Lava viewing

Such great replies! Thanks so much!

Oregon
Level Contributor
137 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Lava viewing

Check the webcam from the USGS at http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/KIcam/ . While it doesn't look like much on the cam, it was remarkable to us when we went in late October. From the Jagger Museum (about a mile or so away IIRC), it looked as bright as a campfire a few lots over. Apparently, what we saw was enhanced by the rain, which added steam to the show.

7. Re: Current Lava viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 10, 2012