I have been reading the forum for a little bit and haven’t quite found the answers to my questions. Unfortunately, due to my husband’s deployment schedule we are booking this trip with little time for research. Please excuse me if I am asking basic questions.
My husband and I are visiting for our daughter’s first birthday, coming in from Oahu. We have six days and five nights on the island and are wondering how to divide it up. We are traveling some point between 8/8-8/21. We are military and I would like to stay at KMC. Our travel agent is advising against this because it is so secluded – but we are into seeing the volcano, hiking, and exploring while we are there. She says we want to stay in Hilo or outside the park near other food and activities. I would also like to do two nights in Kona, but she says I will be disappointed (I am disappointed in her advice at the moment).
1) Is it safe to stay at the VNP with an infant? We are planning on going in the next two weeks.
2) For a couple who cares about hiking, exploring, and the volcano, is three nights too many in the park? Our baby can make it about 2.5 hours in the Kelty at a time, so we can’t do long hikes but maybe two short ones a day. I have been reading about the night views and they sound like a must do.
3) Would you recommend the two additional nights in Hilo or Kona? We want to see all of the other things people comment on – place of refuge, farmer’s market, black sand beaches.
4) What is there to do in Kona? Because of the baby we are not able to snorkel, unless the tour boat allows one of us to stay behind at a time (any recs on this would be good). We aren’t that into sitting on a beach or shopping. We like beaches and gardens, just not sitting for long periods.
5) The southern beaches look interesting. Any advice on the green beach? Is getting there difficult?
6) I have seen the name Warren Costa in some reviews? Is he a guide and how do we get a hold of him?
Thank you for your time.