We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

We've decided to stay at Volcano Village Lodge for a couple of nights during our trip in mid July (I'm so excited) I really want to take a tour of Mauna Kea Summit & Stars. Are there any tours that depart from this side of the island? TIA!!!!!!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

Kitty..I am a climber... and the only proven thing is Diamox.. its used bu highaltitude climbers and Mt rescue and Military operations and the only health food would be Ferrous Sulfate.. and eating iron rich food..... which increases your hemoglobin. All the rest is smoke and mirrors..or just plain BS..dont waste your money

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

OK, I'll start in with rusty nail casserole this month ;-)

And I already looked up diamox---no contraindications for me so I will ask the doc about a scrip.

Thanks.

Tulsa OK
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

I know that this is a very late addition to this thread, but I am confused.

I was interested to read about a summit tour starting from Hilo, so I visited the web site advised to find a tour from Mauna Kea Summit Tours. It sounded very familiar to me, so I re-visited the description of Arnott's summit tour, which we are advised here to avoid. Not only are the itinaries of the two tours identical, includiing a post-summit binocular event, but the descriptions of the two tours are virtually word-for-word the same.

Are there really two different companies offering identically-described Mauna Kea summit tours?

The two web sites I visited are listed below:

Mauna Kea Summit Tours - http://www.lobodelmar.com/maunakeasummit.html

Arnott's adventure tour- http://www.arnottslodge.com/mksg.html

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

Using binos.......thats pretty worthless...all the ones I know use 8 to 10 inch astronomical spciality telescopes..........Id save my money since the Kona side trips are the same cost....and are twice the value......better guides, equipment, ...Maybe o'le arnott is playing games trying to cover up his name.

I am thus very worried that the two are identical..thats a red flag to all

nottinghamshire
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

My husband and i went on the mauna kea summit tour. We are not young (50s and 60s) and not particularly fit but had no problem at all. The tour stops at the visitor centre so that there is time to acclimatise, and there isnt the opportunity on the top for much walking around. so moving a bit slower is all that we found necessary. We had a meal, provided by the tour company at 9000 feet level, and star gazing was at that altitude. Dont worry! Just do it, and have fun.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

>>My husband and i went on the mauna kea summit tour. We are not young (50s and 60s) and not particularly fit but had no problem at all.

this kind of advice makes me tear my hair. While you should not worry excessively, and I do recommend the tour, this advice is based on faulty logic.

Acute Mountain Sickness vulnerability is not related to age or fitness levels, so the logic that if somewhat older and not very fit people can do it, so can you, means absolutely nothing!

Anyone can get AMS!

Even people who have been in high altitudes without a problem can get AMS on a trip even though they never did before!

Someone else's experience has absolutely nothing to do with YOUR experience; it is very individual.

So take the tour, enjoy yourself, with the awareness that a percentage of people will get some degree of AMS, and if you have symptoms, notify the tour guide. At least they can provide oxygen, whereas going on self-tour you are completely on your own.

Also be aware that AMS can come on well after you descend so if you do feel weird, get it checked out.

The place to get correct info on risks for and symptoms of AMS would be the CDC webpage.

Some of my family and another couple went up there for the snow a couple weeks ago, and of the four, three had a great time and one felt sick and wanted to go back soon after arriving.

17. Re: Mauna Kea Summit Tour from Volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 21, 2009