We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainforest Chalet

atlanta
3 posts
Save Topic
Rainforest Chalet

Has anyone stayed at the Rainforest Chalet rental? (formally called the Kilauea Forest Chalet) I found this through Valcano Gallery website. It looks nice on the website but wanted to find out if it is as nice as it looks.

CA
Level Contributor
549 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainforest Chalet

I have not stayed at the Rainforest Chalet, but I did spend three nights at the Lazy Lehua cottage (http://www.lazylehuacottage.com/) three weeks ago.

This place IS as nice and even nicer than the photographs on their website. We (my wife and I) loved it and highly recommend it.

I will be doing a full write-up / review in the next couple of weeks as I have more time.

Charlie

Volcano
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainforest Chalet

It is a great place.. very bright and lots of character... it is tucked away right in the rainforest on a little side street in Volcano Village, and it is very private... great place to sit on the porch and listen to the birds, while taking in the ambience of the lush forest surrounding the place...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainforest Chalet

I know this is way too late for the original poster but thought I'd add my thoughts for others looking at this post.

We stayed 3 nights in the Rainforest Chalet and didn't really like it much - while the photos on the website look great it is actually very dusty and dirty with lots of mould growing around the skylights - we actually left feeling sick. We also had problems with management which we are still trying to resolve. I'll post a proper review under "Kilauea Volcano Cottages" in a few weeks when everything is hopefully sorted out and my views aren't too skewed by our bad experience.

Also, LoveVolcano is actually the manager of this property (look at the reviews under "Kilauea Volcano Cottages" to see their post) so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

Greenville, TX
Level Contributor
63 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainforest Chalet

Our stay there was fabulous! We were there 3 nights and loved the place. In a small carved out portion of the vegetation and about 90 seconds away from the VNP entrance...ok, maybe 3 minutes but it sounded good anyway.

They provide some food if you stay that many nights but we didn't use much that they provided other than the coffee and the butter. We went to the Punalu'u bakery south of Volcano and loaded up on breads,etc.

The bed there is nice, shower is cool since you are secluded, you can open up the door and let the fragrances of the area whaffed in.

We relish this side of the island but again, each person likes different things...I don't think I could stay in the Kona area but hey, thats' us.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainforest Chalet

some people are more sensitive to mold than others. I have a mold allergy and can also smell it when others with me can't -- not imaginary because I can hunt down the source ...

East Hawai'i is a real trouble spot for mold and mildew due to the rainfall and constant humidity, and the higher the elevation the more problems I've seen.

But individual owners have means to combat the mold, if they make it a priority. Having new construction helps.

So ... something to be aware of when you research lodging in Volcano area -- ask questions of other guests to see if they experienced mole and mildew if you have a problem with it.

6. Re: Rainforest Chalet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 pm, August 03, 2008
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainforest Chalet

Advertising your own vacation rental doesn't sit well with TA and it's against the rules too.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainforest Chalet

that post will probably get deleted, but people should know that Ahualoa is a bit different than the generally sunny Hamakua place. It can be very damp, drippy, foggy ... but if you want the woods, it's very woodsy. It's the place here that reminds me most of Mendocino redwood country where I used to live -- except no redwoods, but the feel is similar. ;-)

9. Re: Rainforest Chalet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 01, 2009