We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

Which Pahoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

Last year while searching for Champagne Pond we came across a small public park that had a volcanic heated pool. It appeared to be more locals enjoying the location than tourist. A place to picnic and such. Do you have any idea what this park is called? It was literally out in the middle of no where. I realize I'm asking for something almost impossible but hoping you might know where I'm talking about.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

Ahalanui.

It's where the homeless bathe and use as a free toilet.

There have been strongarm thefts of tourists in the parking lot

Stay away from there.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

Yikes. Thanks for the insight. That's crazy.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

It's not remote It's very heavily used and is in all the guidebooks -- overused really.

It was closed for a bit recently when a man possibly contracted flesh eating bacteria after swimming there with a cut, but this was not confirmed. Swim at your own risk.

Stanwood, WA
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

My 77 year old Mom goes there frequently and has not gotten sick.

While it is overpopulated most of the day, at first light you often have the place to yourself.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

This is an old inactive topic. No need to bump it.

Sitka, Ak
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

I love it there. When I visit I swim every morning around 7:30. There are the same groups of friendly (but not too friendly) locals chatting and a few people swimming laps. It's a great way to start a day. The park is clean and there are portapotties that are well maintained. It is right next to a grade school and the kids do their PE class in the park sometimes.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

The fact remains that reputable medical people have written at length that this pond is the perfect environment for highly resistant bacterial infections.

Once you or someone you love has fought for life at one of the island hospitals due to an aggressive affection, or has died, you will feel differently about infection risks in the tropics in the 21st century. Just not something to play around with or be in denial about. Itʻs very real and itʻs very common here.

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

has there been any recent official notification from the state regarding the safety of accessing the kapoho tidepools snorkeling? Post-Iselle, I havent seen anything official published. Ho11wever it does look like the VRBO

homes are open for business.? Any one know the official status of this? thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

There is a very vocal (and aggressive) contingent of posters on this forum from the Pahoa/Lower Puna area, who consistently post that there is no problem at all currently with the tidepools of Kapoho/Waiopae. They tend to place the economic well-being of the vacation rental/business owners above that of the legitimate concerns of the tourists who are considering the area.

A couple of threads, now closed, dealt with this issue. Do a search using "Kapoho" for the more recent posts.

The bacterial contamination of the pools is an ongoing issue (such as with MRSA). Although fecal contamination has gone down, as systems get replaced, many leach fields are still grand-fathered in.

Iselle dumped a lot of debris and contaminants (such as paint, fertilizer, etc.). The debris has been cleaned up, but I'd wonder about the state of the muck along the bottom of the pools.

Then there was the mass coral bleaching noted this Fall, on an unprecedented scale. Colour seems to be very slowly returning to the coral, but the reef is far from recovery yet.

I would also consider the access implications of the lava encroachment that is approaching Highway 130, since the leading edge of the lava flow is currently almost at the level of the Pahoa Marketplace.

10. Re: In general area of Kapoho -Waiopae tidepools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 10, 2016