We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waikoloa to punaluu black sand beach

Which Pahala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
waikoloa to punaluu black sand beach

We are driving south from waikoloa to a dinner cruise from kailua@ 600. I am trying to decide if we would have time to drive from waikoloa through kailua to the beach and then back to kailua for the cruise.

3 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waikoloa to punaluu black sand beach

I wouldn't. It's about 2 1/2 hours from Waikoloa to Punaluu depending on traffic, and another hour and a half back to Kailua Kona, again depending on traffic, and you will be hitting after work and after school traffic on the way back. So that's 3+ hours of extra driving for a 5-10 minute stop, and I'd you are delayed for any reason you'll miss your cruise (there's no "workaround" that wouldn't involve several more hours of driving if there's a road closure).

I would instead just drive to Puuhonua O Honaunau and visit there, maybe the Painted Church and snorkeling in Honaunau Bay of that interests you. then you're a shorter drive back to Kailua Kona.

Punaluu is only about 30 minutes from VNP, are you planning to visit the Park at all?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waikoloa to punaluu black sand beach

Ah, I see now you're driving to Hilo for the helicopter tour. If I were you, I'd really try to double book that night in Volcano. Then you can drive after the heli tour to Volcano, check in to your lodging, see the glow and maybe even distant surface lava flows from the end of Chain of Craters (the Park is open 24/7), then the next day have some time in the Park and return to Waikoloa via the southern route through Kona, stopping at Punaluu then.

I know double booking seems counter intuitive, but lots of people do it because accommodations in Volcano are quite affordable and fairly numerous. The only issue you may have is many places have two night minimums, but many others don't, and you can also sometimes find pukas, or holes, in a particular rental's calendar and get in on your preferred day.

It will save you tons of driving time, and you'll get to see more of what you want to see.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waikoloa to punaluu black sand beach

Second that. Combine Punalu'u with VNP. Honaunau spots combine well with a trip to Kona.

Reply to: waikoloa to punaluu black sand beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pahala