We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air conditioning fee?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Air conditioning fee?

My husband and I are visiting the Big Island in late August and I'm deciding between a hotel and a condo --- both rated well on Tripadvisor. The condo has a cleaning fee and a $15 per day air conditioning fee that places it well above the cost of the hotel per night. Is a fee for air conditioning a traditional fee? I've never seen it in my other searches for rentals by owners and I haven't often used air in Hawaii when I've stayed. Just curious....

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air conditioning fee?

We have the most expensive electricity in the US, and the $15/day is actually the low end. I know of a condo where it is $40/day.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air conditioning fee?

Electricity is indeed a major expenditure for condo owners in Hawaii.

Is this by chance a unit at Kanaloa at Kona ?This is the only one I see advertising the added fee.

Most condos in South Kohala include A/C without additional charges...it is all factored in.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air conditioning fee?

The posting is from Keauhou Surf and Raquet Club. I've stayed in Hawaii numerous times and not used air conditioning at all. I guess I feel that it should be figured into the seasonal daily/weekly rate if there is an issue or if it's a season where the air is used . It should be factored in. So, I suppose that we will go with the hotel, where it is.

Thanks for the help!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air conditioning fee?

August is very hot in Kailua Kona, and island wide actually, so you will need aircon unless you are direct oceanfront.

I wouldn't recommend any hotel in Kailua Kona except the Courtyard Marriott. You'll have much better hotel options on the Kohala Coast, particularly if you're interested in beaches and swimming. The Hapuna Prince and Waikoloa Beach Marriott are the two budget options, with the Fairmont a small step up in price, but a big step up in quality. There are also many many condo options on the Kohala Coast in all price ranges, and I don't think you'll see an aircon fee for any of them, they all have it and it's built into the nightly rate. They will generally be much nicer, newer, and larger than your Kona/Keauhou options. A condo can be a great way to save money on food even if you're just eating breakfast there and to have snacks and drinks handy for beach and road trips.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air conditioning fee?

Yes, and $15 a day is cheap.... grab it. $25 is the norm and as TT said it can go to $40.

Reason whereas, on the mainland you pay 7 to 14 cents per Kilowatt, we here pay about 48 cents ! We are the most expensive elect in the nation.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,305 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air conditioning fee?

I would never stay anywhere in Hawaii at any time of year if A/C was not an option. I'd never stay Surf & Racquet unless oceanfront. I'd *prefer* to stay Kohala area -- nicer lodgings and out of the vog. (I' prefer to stay on another, cooler, beachier island in late summer/autumn!)

7. Re: Air conditioning fee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, October 13, 2015