We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

looking for a few resonably priced restaurants near the Fairmont Orchid Hotel. (within10-20 minutes ) Can you help me?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

It will take 10 minutes just to get to the highway from the Orchid, so you will need to expand that time frame. Cafe Pesto and Tres Hombres are the closest in Kawaihae, about 20 minutes from the hotel. Both are reasonably priced, though I personally don't care for either. Cafe Pesto is overpriced for a pasta/pizza place and Tres Hombres is a Mexican restaurant that probably would not make it anywhere else but on the Big Island. Driving to Waimea would be your next best option. Check konaforum.com for restaurant reviews.

Aldie, Virginia
Level Contributor
265 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

On the way out of the Fairmont Orchid on the way to the main road you'll come to The Shops at Mauna Lani. There is a new Tommy Bahama's Cafe there (upstairs from their store). We had a very good meal there about two weeks ago. It's not inexpensive by mainland standards, but far less pricey than Brown's at the Orchid or the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani.

Live entertainment some nights.

Danville, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

I agree whole-heartedly about Tommy Bahama's. Very good food at reasonable pricing (for the area). No need to get there early to watch the sun set; just stay at the Ocean Bar at the Orchid and then take the Orchid shuttle to the Mauna Lani, and they'll drop you off at Tommy B's. Ask for Larissa as a waitress! Unless you like eating at an expensive Denny's location, under no circumstances waste your time at Roy's Waikoloa. Terrible aesthetic. It's situated next to a lagoon that is not lit at night, so all you see is a black wall of windows. Inside are tan walls, low ceilings, and it's jammed with people, most noticeably kids. It's a nightmare. It's like going to a Polo factory outlet store instead of a regular Ralph Lauren shop.

Denver
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

Over at the shops at Waikaloa, there's a steakhouse - Kona Grill, I think that's what it was called. Nothing fancy, kinda like an Outback or something, and nto terribly expensive.

FYI - If you like sushi, they don't have it on the menu, but you can add ahi for $5 on some of the dishes (instead of chicken or beef) and you can ask for it raw instead of seared. You get a TON of sashimi for $5!!!!! Hakone at Hapuna would have charged me $60 for that much sashimi!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,862 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

Big Island Steak House, I think you mean. They've raised their prices recently, or so I've heard from a disgruntled family member who used to go there ... but still probably OK.

Try the Waikoloa Beach Golf course restaurant ...

Kawaihae Harbor Grill & Seafood Bar

Agree with TT about Tres Hombres, as I'm used to really good Mexican food it's kind of mediocre ... avoid it on weekend nights when it's really crowded with island residents who want to go out and not spend a fortune, same with Cafe Pesto. On weekends, any reasonable food in that area will be besieged.

6. Re: can anyone recommend restaurants near Fairmont Orchid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:24 am, August 26, 2009