We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

Kailua, Hawai'i
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

Hi! My husband and I will be there in late August for a weekend celebrating our 1st anniversary and wanted to get suggestions/ideas on what there is to do or see that is nearby. We will be staying at the Mauna Lani. We live on Oahu and when ever we come to the BI, we fly into Hilo and stay on the Hamakua Coast with family. I have not been to Kona side in years and wanted to know if there was anything worth seeing while there? We only have two days b/c we fly up on Friday evening and leave on Sunday evening. So it's not much time, and we don't need to do any tours or anything, but we were just curious if anyone could recommend anything that would be worthwhile for a couple in their twenties to do? Maybe a must see beach, or some good shopping?? Any suggestions are helpful!

Thanks!

Nalani

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

well all the resorts are on the Kona side... and beaches.... place of refuge, Hawi rain forest,...... gee there's tons

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

There's way too much!

Re shopping -- as the BI people fly to Oahu to do shopping, I don't see what we could offer you that you don't have better,

It's a pretty drive up to Hawi/Pololu (but Hawi is not rain forest, not sure what Dan means) ... and there are some funky galleries and businesses you might enjoy in Hawi and Kapa'au that would be something different.

As you're there on the weekend, the public beaches, Hapuna and A-Bay will be jumping. Mauna Lani will be quiet.

There's a new road open opposite the Hawaii Veteran's (to Kua Bay, which now has facilities), but on the weekend I hear you need to get down there early to get parking.

If you go to Kailua-Kona it's almost sure to be hot and muggy and crowded, and it's a boring drive through the lava, so I wouldn't waste my time with only two days on the island. I'd go up to North Kohala one day -- temps should be cooler -- and explore beach options the second ... but so many choices.

I'd also eat in at the Canoe House, romantic setting, and walk the shore by the Mauna Lani, walk the path by the fishponds or north to the Fairmont.

Kailua, Hawai'i
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

Thanks! I was also going to ask where is a good place to eat, that has great atmosphere. Any other suggestions besides Canoe House? Any one??

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont, for dinner.

BambooRestaurant in Hawi for fun funky atmosphere for lunch (but you'd need to call and check their lunch hours).

Hilton has nothing with great atmosphere. Hapuna Coast Grille has some great view tables if you get one but so-so food.

Mauna Kea beach bar gazebo fun to sit on the beach and have drinks and pupus.

For more of a party atmosphere at night you'd have to go to Kailua I think. If you want romantic by the sea, Mauna Lani and Fairmont have it covered.

Hawaii-Vegas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

Daniel Thiebaut restaurant in Waimea has amazing food (gourmet but with local-style influence) and really cute atmosphere in a historic building. If you don't have time for dinner, at least go for the $16 Sunday brunch-- best value on the island!

6. Re: What is there to do on the Kamuela/Kona side of BI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 16, 2009