We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

Which Waimea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
R I
Victoria, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

We've been researching a vacation rental called Rose's Cottage in Kamuela that is being run by the folks at Homestead Wai'aka. Has anyone stayed there before, and if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

Link?

R I
Victoria, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

Here it is - www.waiaka.net/properties/RosesCottage.htm. Thanks!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,780 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

I'm not familiar with the exact house, but I am familiar with the neighborhood, the so-called Nob Hill. It's a nice, pretty area in town. I like Waimea a lot but it's not for everyone, particularly tourists. It can be cold, cloudy, windy and rainy. But it is vog-free, has great restaurants, and is conveniently located to the Hamakua coast. The vrbo listing I saw said 10-20 minutes to beaches and that's really not accurate. It's 20 minutes minimum to Hapuna or Kauna'oa, the closest beaches, but that's still pretty convenient.

Personally for $200 per night, I'd get a condo at the Mauna Lani. Much better weather, closer to beaches and oceanfront.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,761 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

Very cute cottage, love the bathtub photo.

One review mentions mold smell (on air b&b) in one room. That is one downside to wet side Waimea. Having looked at real estate there, I have encountered lots of moldy smelling areas, really bad like I couldn't possibly sleep and breathe that all night.

If you stay there, suggest making sure it's not an issue.

Waimea is pleasantly cool in summer, and way too cold in winter for a Hawaiian vacation, IMHO. The chilly wind and the rain and fog and drizzle are a bit much. I really like Waimea, has a lot to offer as a place to live, but the cold and damp is no joke.

LA
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

I wonder why you are chosing to stay in Waimea.

It is not at all convenient and the scenic part is over after about 2 hours. Also, the wind and rain are significant, depending on location in Waimea.

If this is your first visit to The Big Island, I think this would not be a good choice of accomodation.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

I wonder if the OP may be mistakenly aligning the "Kamuela" district which in this case is Waimea town......with the beach resort areas (WBR&Mauna Lani).... which often seem to have a "Kamuela" locator/address attached to them.?....

While Waimea town is a lovely spot and we visit often during our time on Island......staying there as a vacation base....not so much...

We enjoy the proximity to sea level & clear dry warm days near the resorts on the S Kohala coast.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

W-F, Kamuela is not a District.

LA
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

True, typicallytropical, but I think W-F's comment is appropriate.

In some maps and in some areas, the beach and more touristic sites of south Kohala end up listed under Kamuela, with is very misleading for first-time visitors.

9. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, April 19, 2012
10. Re: Has anyone heard of Rose's Cottage in Kamuela?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, April 19, 2012