We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

Which is a better location for a romantic trip in January/February: Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach?

I love hearing the ocean from our room! But we also enjoy swimming and snorkeling right in front of our hotel. I understand winter surf can be rough in January/February along the Kohala coast in some locations.

Thanks for your advice. We are splitting our stay between the Kohala coast and Hilo.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

Hapuna is a much nicer beach. It is considered one of the best beaches on the island. The sand is soft and fine. Although it might not be safe for swimming in January, you can still play in the waves on the shore. Anaeho'omalu has rocky sand and it can get quite windy in the afternoon.

I can also recommend Kauna'oa beach near the Mauna Kea Hotel. There is only about 40 public parking spots so you have to get there before 9:30, but because of the limited parking, it is not crowded and it is a beautiful classic crescent beach. It is my favorite beach.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

agree, with the caveat that Hapuna is a narrower beach when surf is up and they do at times close it and say no people allowed on beach period.

OTOH, I have seen Hapuna calm in winter. The swells come at intervals.

A-bay used to be bermed up in winter, which was not user friendly. Not sure what they will do now there is a channel into the fish pond.

Agree about Kauna'oa for sand quality and beauty, but Mauna Lani has a nice lagoon area. It is shallow but very protected. So does Fairmont have a small protected water entry, rocky bottom though.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

Thanks everybody!

KamaainaK: I'm leaning towards the Mauna Lani now. Do you know more about Mauna Lani's lagoon, beach, etc? The Hawaii Big Island Revealed guidebook recommends the Mauna Lani bay hotel and calls it a Gem. It also says their beach is man-made or enhanced. Does anybody know what that means?

Time for bed...and dreaming about ocean waves on tropical islands....

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

The Mauna Lani has a long sandy beach area in front of it and a small ocean "pool" or lagoon of sorts where you can get in, but there's no easy entry into the open ocean unless you walk about 10 minutes to the south end of the property. It's a fantastic walk along the shoreline, past the historical fishponds and the Eva Parker woods cottage. You will then arrive at Makaiwa Bay which is a small but choice beach with, arguably, the best snorkeling outside of South Kona. There is a nice little restaurant and bar there, lounge chairs, and they rent paddle boards. Makaiwa is usually relatively calm all year, and even when it's windy on the coast, it's less so there. It also has great whale watching.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

Melissa,

trust Shea's description and also see the reviews by Honu Ohana, who has stayed at the Mauna Lani and none other for literally decades.

The Revealed Book is garbage IMHO.

Just put it in the circular file and get a good guidebook -- just about anything else would be preferable.

The Big Island is very short on white sand, and some may have been imported. You will not feel the ML shoreline is artificial.

All or almost all of the sand at Waikiki was barged in, and the whole area is artificial (in the sense that it is drained swampland), but that doesn't keep it from being one of the most loved and used beaches in the world.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

KamaainaK: Thanks for your hilarious review of the Revealed Book! I always use multiple sources for my info, so that in case one guidebook is biased or misleading, there are other sources to help me get a more balanced picture. So I love hearing from you on tripadvisor! Many thanks. I also have the Frommers book as it was a new one. But my Fodors guidebook for Hawaii is from 2009...I'm waiting for the new 2012 Fodors to be available in my bookstore.

SheaG: I appreciate your explanation of the beaches at the Mauna Lani, and the Makaiwa beach. It's good to know there is also a nice little restaurant at the Makaiwa beach. Are there any other facilities at the Makaiwa beach...such as toilets, showers, changing rooms?

fishingteacher: Perhaps we can visit the Kauna'oa beach...it sounds beautiful. We will plan to get there before 9:30 to get parking. Thanks for the tip.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

Yes, there are several showers and nice bathrooms at Makaiwa.

Kauna'oa is a lovely beach but the public access is a hassle, it can be crowded, and the bathrooms are really ghetto, lol. I've also never much liked it because I like beaches where you can do things. The snorkeling there is not very good and it doesn't get the right swells for any body boarding. The swimming is OK when there isn't current. The beach bar is overpriced, unfriendly, and has very limited choices and hours.Hapuna has some of the same issues, although it doesn't have a beach bar at all, but it's a great walking/jogging beach because it's so long and the sand very fine. Also very good body boarding if you hit the swell right, not too small or too big. Swimming and snorkeling not recommended in winter.

8. Re: Is Anaeho'omalu Bay or Hapuna Beach better in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 27, 2012