We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which room is best at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

san francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Which room is best at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Hello-we will be travelling with our 3 yr old daughter-I have booked a beach front first floor plumeria beach club room-my thought is it would be nice tobe able to have our daughter play out front of our lanai-easy access to beach etc-but now that I look at the rooms on the web site-are the upper level rooms nicer? Larger? Seems like the bathrooms may be nicer up above with a seperate shower/tub-any thoughts from anyone that has stayed here? Thank you!!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,854 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which room is best at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

I'm bumping this since no one replied. I think kaleberg must know the answer, and you know if you called the hotel they would explain.

If you're oceanfront, the higher you are the better the view over the landscaping.

I've never stayed there, but I know that the upper floor, maybe the upper two floors, got damaged by the quake, and they renovated the damaged rooms to be larger and have the oceanfront bathrooms you describe. They took three old rooms and made them into two. No question those rooms are nicer, and at a premium cost.

I don't think there are any rooms at beach level in the main building. The rooms you are getting must be on the low rise wing that runs along the back of the beach? I don't think they could have as nice a view. That wing wasn't quake damaged that I know, so not sure how much was renovated.

This is one of those questions that if I were in your shoes I would pick up the phone and call the front desk, and get them to say what was renovated, what was refreshed, and see if what you imagine about playing in front of the lanai would actually work that way.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which room is best at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

I have not stayed there but visited the hotel and ate lunch about a week ago. If those are the rooms in the low rise wing behind the grassy area and the beach, it would be great with a 3 year old. When the kids were that age I loved finding spots like that where we could open up the door and have access to an area to play outside. It will be very convenient for going to the beach and playing on the grassy area.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which room is best at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Alas, KK, I last stayed at the MK before the earthquake and have not been back since the redo. My suggestion would be for the OP to try to get hold of the Andrew Harper Trip Report most recent review of the Mauna Kea. If you carefully google, you can get the review. I hope it is helpful.

4. Re: Which room is best at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 28, 2012