We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kahua Ranch

Which Waimea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
st charles
Level Contributor
29 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Kahua Ranch

We have been planning our vacation to Hawaii since last year. We are traveling to the big island and Kauai. We have been to Hawaii twice before and know that in high season many attractions fill up early. We read the Frommers review and they said you received a 20% discount if you booked online. There was no way to book online so I called the ranch direct. They said they would honor the Frommers discount when I called back closer to july 2010. I called them and they said to call back in two weeks they didn't want to hold my credit card. I called back and when I spoke with someone last week they said you need to book with Polynesian Adventure Tours. I called them and the price was $150 per person. The price in Frommers Hawaii was $89 with a 20% discount. I called Hawk back and told him that I have been trying to book a reservation since 2009. He told me he would call me right back and would give me the Frommers price. He never called me back. I have been trying for 9 months to book with this company. Now they have almost doubled their rate and now they won't take our reservation. What kind of company does this and stays in business. They should be accountable and others should know that they were not true to their word to us from the start

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kahua Ranch

That sure does sound flaky. If you still want to do this (and I'm not sure why you would at this point), I'd call them again. People here in Hawai'i are the worst at calling back when they say they will.

What was it you were planning to do? The Evening at Kahua Ranch or the horseback riding?

btw, it's not very good business sense to almost double the price in a year during a recession.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kahua Ranch

I wouldn't bother. The horseback riding is much better in the Waipio Valley and the Paniolo Dinner at Kahua Ranch certainly is not worth the price, you can go to the Pahuia and have dinner for less!

st charles
Level Contributor
29 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kahua Ranch

We wanted to do the evening at the ranch. You are absolutely right. The ranch has gone down to offering this two nights a week only. In this economy why wouldn't you have booked our reservation when I asked 9 months ago or even 2 weeks ago. No, I don't want to do this anymore. I did after all the recommendations but not anymore. Very poor business manners to say the least.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kahua Ranch

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Looking online, it seems their contact info has changed...maybe the subcontractor that handled the van transport and logistics has changed or had a personnel change. We used to talk to "Sue" and she was very nice. But it was a different phone number.

With the drought affecting grazing (Kahua's main business is as a ranch) and the continued economic woes affecting tourism, a lot of places are down-shifting or worse.

Hopefully Kahua will continue as a ranch and perhaps can regain its formerly well-deserved tourism reputation as well.

5. Re: Kahua Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, August 09, 2010
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kahua Ranch

Well now I guess we wait to hear back from mattbrooke if (s)he calls Hawk at all after that reply.

Illinois
Level Contributor
385 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kahua Ranch

I would not normally comment on this but OMG. It sounds like Mr. Hawk Hawkins just called Mattbrooke a liar with your "C'mon comment.Not good business at all Mr. Hawk!! I believe Mattbrooke and you owe him an apology period!!!! Thanks for the warning Mattbrooke!

Waimea, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kahua Ranch

Aloha Everyone,

We take care of thousands of people a year at the Ranch. I take lots of reservations and if someone fell through, I am deeply sorry. But can you imagine someone trying to get a hold of me for nine months?

People love our product and I know it is impossible to please everyone. But I try. If I have offended anyone, I will be the first to apologize but sometimes you get that one person that no matter what you do they cannot be pleased and maybe it was meant to be. We have multiple venues on the island to book this tour so it is just hard for me to believe the story. Why did someone not call me back and get on my case man to man instead of crying about it.

Again I say: 'C'mon'.

Aloha to everyone from Hawaii!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kahua Ranch

Hawk, I don't know the facts and don't want to assume, but based only on what OP wrote, you are distorting the point.

He never said he was trying to get hold of YOU for nine months. He said he tried to book the tour at the discount rate nine months out, and was told to wait and did wait until July. Then he was run around some more, see post, then when he did talk to you, you agreed to honor the Frommers listing but did not follow through.

If all is as said, then I agree he could have called you again, but he should not have to. You say you don't remember the call and you talk to thousands.

I do question the likelihood of the OP imagining that he spoke to someone named Hawk. Not a common name.

You did not address whether you guys honor the Frommers discount and why you don't simply take the bookings at the time people contact you, why not address each point clearly instead of praising your product. TA does not allow you to use a response post to promote the business.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kahua Ranch

Being in a similar business (property management) I also talk to thousands of people, some days it feels like in one day :) So I understand customer service. Just reading "you get that one person that what you do they cannot be pleased and maybe it was meant to be." saddens me.. this person never even did the activity, they were just trying to reserve... I can understand if they were complaining about the activity itself and were unhappy about the quality... that could be attributed to expectations. I also can understand someone falling through a crack in a busy office; an apology from a professional business person and an effort to make it right would have had great results on this forum.