We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance to Waimea?

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Distance to Waimea?

We are looking to stay at the Farimont, or nearby, and we are wondering how far the drive is to Waimea, particularly Merriman's and some other restaurants there. Is it about ten minutes or way more? And, since we will likely be doing the dive in the evening is the highway lighted?

Also, we haven't been back to the Big Island in many years, is the main highway, 19 often filled with traffic in high season or, its still pretty wide open during the day and during the evening? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
1,689 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Merriman's
$$$$, International, American, Seafood
Hawaiian Style Cafe
$, American, Cafe, Diner
Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance to Waimea?

The highway itself is not lighted with a very few exceptions. It's about a 15 minute drive. Fairly narrow and windy and you definitely need to pay attention, especially after dark. There's usually a fair amount of traffic, and passing is generally not possible so if you get stuck behind a truck you just have to adjust your speed accordingly. So, it may take you 17 minutes instead...

When you're close to Waimea you may find Highway 19 ":filled with traffic"

but other than that it's pretty wide open and traffic generally moves right around the speed limit.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance to Waimea?

Thank you, perfect information.

We will likely aim to eat out most nights and we are trying to figure out exactly how much driving that will entail. . .

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance to Waimea?

Daniel Thiebaut and Merriman's, both in Waimea, and walking distance away from each other, are my two favorite restaurants there.

Mentioned in this post
Merriman's
Merriman's
1,689 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance to Waimea?

Agreed with all the information hawaiipalms gave you.

But, I'll also add that there are a few dining options nearer to the Fairmont. There are limited options at The Shops at Mauna Lani (in the same Mauna Lani resort complex as the Fairmont). Just a few miles south on Hwy 19 is the Queens Marketplace at the Waikoloa resort complex, and there are tons of dining choices there. These might help you avoid a lot of driving.

http://www.shopsatmaunalani.com/dining.html

waikoloabeachresort.com/big-island-dining

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance to Waimea?

Many restaurants don't open until 6:00pm so check before you go or better make a reservation. About 15 minutes drive if traffic is light. Avoid late afternoon rush hour going up hill. Lots of good places to eat.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,186 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance to Waimea?

I honestly remember it being more than 15 minutes from Mauna Lani/Orchid to Waimea and where Merrimans's is. I think it's more than 15 minutes to Kawaihae. Or maybe it just seems longer in the dark.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance to Waimea?

Thank you for those additional postings and info. The Japanese spot at the Shops at Mauna Lani also looks like a very good option. As long as the drive is under 30 mins or so we should be good for dinner.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance to Waimea?

I should have been a bit more specific in my initial post. It's 7 miles from the intersection of Hwy 19 & Hwy 270 (where you make a 90 degree right turn from Hwy 19 to head up the hill towards Waimea, still on Hwy 19) to the intersection of Hwy 250 (Kohala Mountain Road from Hawi) and Hwy 19, and then another mile or so to Merriman's. When I said '15 minutes' I was referring to that stretch, Coming from The Fairmont Orchid will probably add 10 minutes to that. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel would only add a few minutes driving time.

The area around Waikoloa resort complex mentioned by stargirlssc above would be MUCH closer. And much easier driving.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Mountain Road
Kohala Mountain Road
146 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
1,689 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
4,481 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel...
1,388 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
9. Re: Distance to Waimea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 11, 2010