We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

San Francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

I'm wondering if anyone can give me info about renting a villa or house at the Mauna Kea. I'd prefer someone w/ first hand experience with regards to prices, location, oceanviews, cleaning fees, proximity to beach, etc. 6 adults will be travelling in Oct/Nov 09. I've checked out VRBO (vacation rental by owner) site, but it's confusing to me. I've stayed at the hotel several times before, we thought we'd like to try renting one of the properties on the compound.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

This is the on site management company

http://www.maunakearesortrentals.com/

Kawaihae, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

There are other rental services who offer homes on the Mauna Kea Resort, including South Kohala Management (http://www.southkohala.com).

Using VRBO, you can rent a 3 bedroom, 3 or 3-1/2 bath condo or villa at Wai'ula'ula, which is a residential development on the Hapuna Prince property. If you get a unit with full resort amenities, you'll have access to everything that a guest at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and Hapuna Prince Hotel has.

There are some very good prices for Wai'ula'ula units on VRBO, but some of them don't include any resort amenities. Otherwise, there are very good deals to be had.

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

Skymuffin,

I haven't been looking in this area much but just noticed your posting. There are several agencies that rent within the Mauna Kea Resort. But, it is important to see what amenities are included with their rentals. MKR offers expanded resort amenities if fees are paid; some agencies include those fees, others do not. It is important to ask. The fees offer access to tennis, reduced golf rates, towel and lounge privileges on the beach and at both hotel pools, etc.

There is a range of communities -- all high end, some better outfitted and updated than others. Depending upon what you are looking for (and your budget), the condos can be a great alternative to the hotels and can save you a lot of money. Having breakfast and lunch at the condos makes the condos a relative bargain and can seriously reduce the cost of a vacation in this beautiful resort.

I'm an owner at MKR and love it. Good luck.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

Please note that none of the residential properties are close to the beach at either resorts.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

Looks like the OP may have travelled already.

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

Actually, there are two communities that are close to the beaches: The Villas and Kauna'oa. In addition, there are homes at the Bluffs that are close to the beaches.

Wai 'ula 'ula (the newest of the Upland communities within Mauna Kea) as well as Kumulani offering more affordable (yet luxurious) alternatives with shuttle service by the hotels. There is also parking at both beaches for condo guests that makes this a very easy option for most guests.

Distance is a bit deceiving at Mauna Kea because of the property slope. Anything within the resort is near to the beach and most of the homes offer wonderful ocean views.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

Since the OP was going in Oct/Nov......and it's now December..........I'm with Wander.

Why revive an old thread? It couldn't be for ..............advertising, could it?!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

Could this be "self promotion and advertising..." !

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

LovetheBigIsland disclosed being an owner there. It would indeed be good to know if there's a rental interest. Not all owners rent.

Having stayed there, in a condo, and having gone to a party at one of the private homes (not a rental), I would say that LtBIs posts were perfectly accurate.

The views are fabulous. The climate is nicer than at sea level due to the breezes. which amazed me in July. It took me about one minute after going through the Hapuna hotel security to get to the condo development gate. (The condos are above the homes.)

The ability to drive down and park in hotel guest parking or use valet at Mauna Kea (or Hapuna), was fabulous. It means you don't have to go to Kauna'oa first thing to vie for a spot. You just go whenever. Then to go to the towel guy and say please set our group up with umbrellas, loungers, and towels, and to see how they respond to the magic word, homeowner, was pretty darn cool.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa or House rentals at Mauna Kea

PS. I checked my PM's and the OP did let me know that her group didn't end up coming to Hawai'i, for logistical reasons. She continues to prefer Mauna Kea over Waikoloa though, if she were to come.

I would agree.

Waikoloa is cheap (relatively), but the water and beach quality has deteriorated a lot in the seven years since I first moved here. I used to love to go down to A-bay, but now I don't.

One of my sons lives in Waikoloa, and he won't even swim there any more. He goes to other beaches.

I think they overbuilt the area and the beach has suffered from too many people and boats using it. Also, Waikoloa used to be quiet, and now it's a big tourist hub, so visitors who like quiet non-touristy type areas, should consider heading north to the Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea resorts.