We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea Hotel

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Kea Hotel

I know this is closed for renovation & scheduled to re-open end of year. Does anyone know if this is on schedule? Also, I cannot find any information on room rates (I'm sure due to the closure) so does anyone have a "ballpark" as to what they might run next June? We were looking @ 4S, but I just can't bring myself to pay $730 for a golf view room & we will need 2 rooms. Thanks for any info!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

If you go to the Prince website, they have a space where you can sign up for e-mail updates on the Mauna Kea Hotel - currently all they have listed is articles and projections.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

Have you looked into Kona Village Resort? It may not be your cup of tea--it isn't everbody's--but it's certainly worth a look.

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

LesRose-thanks, I signed up for their e-mail updates. Mumps-I have looked into Kona Village-it looks wonderful. I had a hard time figuring out their pricing system-it looked like some rates included all meals & some didn't. It was late & I was tired! Do you know if there are any hales there that would accomodate a family of 5 or would we need 2? Thanks again.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

Lovstotravel - KVR does have a system and Mumpsimus is the guy to fill you in there! However I do believe two hale' would be needed.

Meanwhile here are a couple of other ideas: Mauna Lani is offering several specials (such as 25%off, or fifth night free, and they offer an Ohana rate for two or more rooms) it's a wonderful property!! Hapuna Prince is running some really good specials as well. I also believe all of the Four Seasons properties are running fourth night free. I think when Mauna Kea opens, aside from what may be a few opening introducory rates - you may find them on a dollar level with 4S

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

LesRose, Thankyou for the additional information. I will check out those properties as well. I get to book air tomorrow so will have actual dates to work with!

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

Gee, call Katherine at KVR on their 800 number. She's really nice and will answer all your questions. It could be that two hale (which include all meals and beach amenities) would satisfy your needs. Dunno. You'll have to ask her. Kona Village is really different and special and you may like it a lot... (We regulars do...)

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

Yes, I had planned on calling KVR to clarify the rates, etc. Along with the other properties we are interested in. But want to wait until our dates are set which will hopefully be tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

as to 5 persons... the law here says no hotel room may haved more than 4 in it. Hence in all hotels you will have to get 2 rooms. The same limit holds for condos. studios..max 2 1 bedroom 4 2 bed room 6, 3 bedroom 8 persons max.

By the way $730 for the four seasons is one hack of a deal....its normaly $900 a night

I would guess the Mauna Kea would be in the 400 to $500 a night range after the remodel

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

Thanks Hawaiidan. It's hard to think of over $700/night as a deal, especially x 2! Ha-Ha. But I do LOVE 4 Seasons hotels! The $400-$500 for Mauna Kea sounds better to me! I did find a VRBO 3 bed/3 bath at 4 Seasons for $1100 per night so that is an option I need to further check out. I don't think we need the all inclusive @ Kona Village as we are coming to the island to visit friends who live in Kona & will be eating with them. Thank you to all for your help. I will let you know what we end up with!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mauna Kea Hotel

Personally I wouldn't bother waiting on the Mauna Kea, it's not likely to open on time, and even if it does, it's better to wait until some reviews are in before you commit to it. Although I could be wrong, even with the renovations, I consider it unlikely it will be in the same class as the FS Hualalai or KVR.

IME, people who really like either KVR or Hualalai don't like the other one, so I would carefully consider you and your family's personalities, wants, and needs. Hualalai is a goregous, serene property (as is KVR), but it also exudes a very Evian-spritzing,cucumber slice,sunglass-cleaning Ralph Lauren pool scene that some people find intimidating. The rooms are much more modern and luxe than KVR's, with big flat screen TVs, subdued colors, high thread-count linens, huge towels, game consoles, iHomes, the whole works. KVR is much more Old Hawaii which many people find more appealing. The rooms are more tropical feeling and lighter, in fact the whole property has a Gilligan's Island feel. The food situation at Hualalai will add several hundreds (or thousand, depending on how many people and how much alcohol you drink) to your bill each day, at KVR, the food's already included and so budgeted. OTOH, if you're like me, and don't like to eat on a schedule or be tied down to eating on property, it's a bummer. I also have not really liked the food at KVR traditionally, but it's been almost a year since I've been there.

The spa at Hualalai is one of its highlights, even without treatments, a great place to kill several very relaxing hours having steam baths, sauna baths, sitting by the plunge pool in the gardens, lap pool all at no charge, as is the nice fitness room. The spa at KVR doesn't have those same complimentary amenities and is really only worth going to if you're having a treatment. Pools are much nicer at Hualalai. Recreation for kids is more varied at Hualalai (rock climbing wall, basketball courts, game rooms, snorkel pond, aforementioned electronics in rooms), but KVR is a more unplugged experience that many parents may appreciate.

It's really two very different expriences. While I am a FS aficionado, I completely understand those who are not, and while KVR isn't for me, I see the attraction for many people. Reading the reviews of both properties will give you a sense of the differences between the two. There are quite a few regulars at KVR here who can also give you a good sense of thatproperty, and a couple of us here are regulars at Hualalai. So we have all the bases pretty much covered and respect each others' point of view. In addition, seriously consider Honu's perspective on the Mauna Lani. For the price, this may well be the best value for the money of any of the hotels on the island, combining Old Hawaii with modern luxury. It's also considered the 'greenest' hotel on the island, implementing many ecological minded innovations.

Hualalai is undergoing fairly extensive renovations to its adult pool and Beach Tree restaurant that will be completed sometime next spring. If you do book a golf view room you can probably get upgraded when you arrive. No guarantee, but frankly even the golf view rooms are spectacular, the only difference between the rooms (excluding suites) is the view, and the fact that the downstairs rooms have outdoor showers while the upstairs ones have better views in some of the crescents. Check their website for specials, they often have fifth night or third night free, or hotel credit packages.